Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 4th, 2015 06:00

Dell idrac6

Hi,

We do have Poweredge Dell R210 2 servers and it seems like  sometimes it boots with idrac issues and other times it reboots fine. We are getting the "idrac communication failure" error and we had done  some troubleshoot that has already posted by dell for this issue. we have done the following troubleshoots,but no help

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/SLN266092?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/systems-management/w/wiki/3464.troubleshooting-idrac6-issues

I don't know it should be an idrac6 firmware issue and please help for the following,

1) Please share me the necessary files for idrac6 firmware update?

2) Please share a doc for to create the DOS USB boot up disk for the Dell servers?

Please help me

• 

8.4K Posts

November 4th, 2015 13:00

Bibinkurien,

The file you will need to update the iDrac is located here, which is the latest version 1.99.

Also, the file that explains how to create the bootable USB can be located here.

Something else you can try is to remove AC power for 30 seconds. Once AC power is re-applied, Allow 2 minutes for the idrac to complete POST/Initialize, before powering the server back on. At tines, starting the server immediately upon adding power can cause this as the iDrac doesn't have the time to initialize before the server is powered on.

Now when you are getting the error, are you getting anything referring to the wattage for the power supply being exceeded?

Let me know what you see.

November 5th, 2015 10:00

Hi,

How can I update the IDRac firmware?. I have downloaded the 49MB application file but I wasn't able to execute it using the USB flash drive. 

• 

8.4K Posts

November 5th, 2015 12:00

Run the file from a Windows based system to extract the files. After that then locate the file with the extension of .d6. ou can use that in the Update tab in the Drac GUI. Since the iDrac still isn't accessible then that will be an issue. If you are able to make it to the OS you can try running the Windows Update Package version. 

What was the results of removing the power cord, then upon adding it back waiting 2 minutes prior to starting the server? I ask as one of the common reasons for this error is that the server was powered on right after power was applied to the server, leaving the iDrac with inadequate time to initialize.

November 9th, 2015 13:00

Hi,

We can get it working.But if I unplug the power then it stops working altogether when I boot it back up.

November 10th, 2015 08:00

Hi,

We are trying to figure out the idrac6 issues. We have done the following steps to sort out the issue, but still we are facing the idrac communication failure at the boot time

1. Unplug the server for 5 minutes then installing the idrac enterprise. 
2. Plugging in the power and waiting 15 minutes before booting up the server.
3. While booting, the server detects idrac enterprise and notes that idrac express is needed.
4. Server is shut down after boot up is complete but not unplugged. Idrac express is then installed and the server is booted.
5. The server detects both idrac cards and I was able to crt+E to get into the ipmi settings. I set the port to Dedicated and the system booted up successfully several times.
6. For testing purposes I shut down the server and unplugged the power for 15 minutes. After that, the boot sequence takes much longer to process where I receive "idrac communication failure" followed by the BIOS loading and that's it. The system doesn't boot up properly afterwards.

System details:
Dell R210-II
BMC firmware revision 1.80.1
Unified server configuration version 1.5.0.29
Idrac 6 configuration utility 1.61
Bios is 2.8.0

We have done the following troubleshoots as well.

http://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/SLN266092?c=us&l=en&s=bsd&cs=04

Please help me to sort this out.

Regards,

No Events found!