Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 11th, 2015 06:00

Dell r630 with Intel® Ethernet Converged Network Adapters X710

I have a server (r630)with an onboard intel X710 which is a converged adapter (2 copper and 2 sfp ports) 

When I boot the server I only see the 2 copper nics and not the SFP connected nics.

When i check the BIOS they also do not show up only copper nics and an extra Intel 10 GB nic in the pci slot we added.

What am I missing here?

• 

6.2K Posts

June 11th, 2015 18:00

Hello

It looks like all 4 ports on the NDC(2x10G, 2x1G) are being detected in that picture. How are they not being detected in the OS? Are they showing disconnected or not showing at all in the OS? Since they are detected by the system I would suspect a driver issue if they are not showing in the OS. Have you tried booting to a live CD/DVD of another OS?

Thanks

2 Posts

June 11th, 2015 23:00

Hi, 

There should have been 4x 10 Gbit nics (as I stated we have an extra 10 Gbit card in the system).

I found the issue, when I used the Dell server inventory option (F10) It showed all cards, so also the one I was missing and it stated OS status : non operational.

So I looked at the VMware website (as I have esxi running) and it said supported but sneaky as they are they had a link for this card but not for ESXi 6 but for 5.5. but still that driver worked like and all is fine now.

Later I also found the link for ESXi 6 wich also send me to ESXi 5.5 so I guess I have the correct driver.

626 Posts

October 17th, 2015 06:00

Currently, the i40e driver for X710 in ESXi 5.5 is the same as the one for ESXi 6.0.

No Events found!