ajinc1
6 Indium

Dual cpus for PE 2900

Jump to solution
Hello All, I am trying to find out what is the fastest cpu that can go into my PE 2900. I purchased this on the cheap from a church ($300) never been used still in box. I am sure I'll have to do BIOS updates and possibly replace some internal batteries, but can someone tell me the fastest processor that this unit can take. It presently has a single PROCESSOR, 80563Q, XCL, E5345, LGA771, G0 Thanks ajinc1
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
8 Krypton

RE: Dual cpus for PE 2900

Jump to solution

It depends.  On your chassis - upper-left corner - should be an indicator of the revision of 2900 that you have.  The top processor it will take will depend on your revision.  The fact that it shipped with a 5300-series indicates that it is either a revision II or III. 

If it is a II, then 5300 (5365) is as high as you can go. 
If it is a III, then 5400 (5470) is as high as you can go.

Updating the system firmware (BIOS, ESM, etc.) will be required if doing any upgrade to a 5400 CPU (if you have a revision III).

0 Kudos
7 Replies
8 Krypton

Jump to solution

It depends.  On your chassis - upper-left corner - should be an indicator of the revision of 2900 that you have.  The top processor it will take will depend on your revision.  The fact that it shipped with a 5300-series indicates that it is either a revision II or III. 

If it is a II, then 5300 (5365) is as high as you can go. 
If it is a III, then 5400 (5470) is as high as you can go.

Updating the system firmware (BIOS, ESM, etc.) will be required if doing any upgrade to a 5400 CPU (if you have a revision III).

0 Kudos
ajinc1
6 Indium

Jump to solution
Thanks for the quick reply ... much appreciated. "On the chassis upper left corner", is that the front or inside the box? This info was in the Dell spec per my ST # NP451 1 ASSEMBLY, CHASSIS, Tower, SYSTEM, P2900, II
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Hi ajinc1,

The Xeon X5470 was the fastest CPU offered.

Thanks,
Josh Craig
Dell EMC Enterprise Support Services
Get support on Twitter @DellCaresPRO
0 Kudos
ajinc1
6 Indium

Jump to solution
Thanks for the quick reply, I received an additional reply that said it depends on the PE 2900 being a Series II, or II the S-II PE 2900's go up to Xeon 5365 and S-III PE 2900's go up to 5470 cpu is that a valid point?
0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Flash is correct about the series II only going to 5365. I just assumed it was the newer III since it hadn't been opened.

Thanks,
Josh Craig
Dell EMC Enterprise Support Services
Get support on Twitter @DellCaresPRO
0 Kudos
ajinc1
6 Indium

Jump to solution
Thanks
0 Kudos
8 Krypton

Jump to solution
From the order description, sounds like you have a revision II, but you can check the chassis for confirmation. It is on the server itself - top-left corner on the front panel.
0 Kudos