Hi
Can anyone please advise on the end of life date for the PowerEdge M1000E

Thanks

Andon Stefanovski

• 

8.4K Posts

August 16th, 2019 06:00

Andons,

The End of Life date for a Dell system is based at 5 years from the specific devices ship date, as well as parts availability. 

1 Message

October 14th, 2019 12:00

Hi Chris,

that was not exactly the answer to the question - is there any official end of sale / end of support,.. matrix that you can point to. I have customers who need to decide wether to invest in the new MX blade chassis or stick to the M1000e for compatibility reasons.

Thanks

Best regards

joerg

December 6th, 2019 07:00

i totally agree with your reply, that response to your question wasn't really an satisfactory answer. if Dell is unwilling to actually place a date on the M1000E EOL then it makes it much more difficult for sysadmins in the field to recommend their products. 

i'm guessing that the only way to determine what Dell/EMC will do is by their actions.. so if you can still buy (as of the date of this post) a M640 blade server and it only goes in the VRTX or M1000E chassis, then it's still supported. the day that Dell stops selling M1000E compatible servers + 5 years will be the chassis is really EOL..

Apparently Dell/EMC would rather let customers guess when the M1000E will be EOL..

Regards,

Dave

64 Posts

May 21st, 2022 07:00

Sorry about that, the M1000e has officially been removed from the modular server products page, the MX7000 platform is its replacement, so it's safe to presume that the five year clock is already ticking.

• The M640 / FC640, as well as the M630 / FC630, blades share the same system mainboard, and these are still available through direct sales.
  • Dell has yet to produce M650 / FC650 blades.
  • Dell has stopped producing new I/O modules for the M1000e, the PCIe fabric is capable of 25/50 GbE Ethernet, but they have not produced switching modules with these capabilities.
  • Dell has not produced the M840 / FC840 blades, but have produced the MX840 blade.
  • The CMC in Dell's M1000e, VRTX, and FX platform all share a common code base, akin to that seen in iDRAC versions 7 and 8 code base. The VRTX and FX platforms are still available for direct sales.

So given all these facts, I think it's safe to assume that you will continuing seeing CMC software updates for the M1000e until at least 2026.

We did manage to get a lot of milage out of the M1000e platform, but its PCIe 3.0 x8 backplane was really beginning to show its age for enterprise customers. Given how cheap these are on the secondary used market, Dell should consider releasing the technical schematics of the M1000e backplane, the technical drawings of the fan system, and possibly open sourcing parts of the CMC software for the larger home lab community as the M1000e chassis itself is nearly perfect for a self contained lower powered home lab. For example, the chassis sled and backplane I/O design would make a great starting point for a community / opened sourced ARM and/or RISC-V blade architectures... the best thing that ever happened to IBM was when they unintentionally and accidentally open sourced their 5150 PC architecture by using commodity off the shelf parts...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halt_and_Catch_Fire_(TV_series)

1 Message

June 30th, 2023 01:00

Hi Chris,

Is it documented in the Dell Portal? Or just tell me that is there any dell portal link where we can see End of Life / End of Support dates for all the Dell Hardware?

• 

3.2K Posts

June 30th, 2023 07:00

Hi,

you could get this info from or sales department.

No Events found!