Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 11th, 2020 01:00

Factory reset Poweredge R730

Hi all!

I just purchased a preowned PowerEdge R730 for which I want to perform a complete factory reset.

It seems like the previous owners has just plugged the cable out of the socket and left it to me "as-is". The server is set up with VMware ESXi 6.0 when booting and finally ends up, as expected, asking for the user id & password (which I naturally do not have). Also when entering into BIOS (pressing any of the function key alternatives) at startup the server is password protected.

So to the inevitable question from a server newbie: How to proceed next?

Thanks for any suggestions to help me out or pointing me to any previous posts describing a similar issue!

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

June 11th, 2020 04:00

You can try with password clear jumper.

PowerEdge R730 Documentation

4 Posts

June 11th, 2020 02:00

Ooohh, typically I just found out of it myself minutes after posting the issue. Luckily we have google which pointed me to this website after days of searching for a solution:

https://www.technibble.com/how-to-bypass-or-remove-a-bios-password/

And after trying first password "Dell" and subsequently "DELL" I am now into BIOS :-)).

4 Posts

June 11th, 2020 02:00

Double oohhh. Realized now that when entering into the BIOS that the "default" password only gave me reading rights. By going into the System Security menu item within the BIOS it shows up a Setup Password option with Password Status "LOCKED". I presume this prevents me from actually changing anything inside the BIOS as I cannot change to another booting device. So, in a way the issue still persists:

How can I possibly go on from here???

4 Posts

June 11th, 2020 05:00

Excellent, thanks!

No Events found!