Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 9th, 2017 07:00

Fan problems with r710 "Fan 1 RPM is operating less than the lower critical threshold."

I recently picked up a older Poweredge r710, and initially didn't have any issues with it.  The firmware had not been updated since 2010, so that's where i started with it.  Somewhere in the update process (before I had updated the BIOS from 3.0.0 to 6.4.0) the #1 and #2 fan sensors failed.

iDRAC reports the error is "Fan 1 RPM is operating less than the lower critical threshold."  Sometimes its fan 2 as well.

Swapping the fans for the 3-5 fans does not help, I have finished updating all the firmware - iDRAC, BIOS, LCC and NICs but the problem still persists.  Sometimes if I flea power drain the PSU fan 1 or 2 will start working but after a reboot or two the sensors stop working and all fans + PSU fan start spinning around 12k RPM.

I am thinking about downgrading the iDRAC firmware - I read another post where someone downgraded the NIC firmware, I tried that but it didn't help.

Any advice would be great, as this is very frustrating!

Thanks,
Charles

December 10th, 2017 10:00

I have downgraded the idrac firmware to 1.99 and it still has the fan issue.  Is it the motherboard then?

December 11th, 2017 00:00

Another follow up, I've removed the iDRAC enterprise card from the motherboard and now I'm getting fan failures on 1 and 2.  Should I also remove the express controller card?

1 Rookie

• 

16 Posts

March 22nd, 2023 08:00

I have also faced my R730xd server, error message is "Fan 1 RPM is less than the lower critical threshold". I have changed the full cooling fan set & changed both power supplies. no change to the problem.
Any solutions in this regard?

• 

8.4K Posts

March 22nd, 2023 09:00

Network_khor,

I would suggest you start with verifying the server is completely up to date. Once that is done, and if the issue persists, I would power down and then check the fan itself for debris, damage, or fault connection. If none of those are present, and the issue is still present, then I would swap fan1 with another one in the server, and then see if the issue follows the fan, or stays with the slot. This can help us identify if the issue is with the fan itself. 

Let me know what you see.

1 Rookie

• 

16 Posts

March 22nd, 2023 22:00

I found another issue, when both Power supply is running then the server is run and showing output to monitor, If one Power supply is take off then the power is down monitor output is off but PSU yellow light is on, cooling fan is off also.

what is the solution?

1 Rookie

• 

16 Posts

March 22nd, 2023 23:00

Are you mean remote access like Anydesk or Team viewer? 

• 

3.6K Posts

March 22nd, 2023 23:00

Hello thanks for choosing Dell.
We would need to see the part component status (fan status) from iDRAC.
https://dell.to/42xlfO2
page 21

1 Rookie

• 

16 Posts

March 23rd, 2023 00:00

730XD.JPG730XD-1.JPG

Here I attached Fan status. 

1. I have update the bios 2.15 to 2.16, swap the fan 1 but problem is same. 
2. showing no error power supply in idrac status. but when I take off PSU 2, cooling fan set totally off, Monitor output off also.  System board indagator light is on, PSU light status is on which is powered. 

I am getting frustrated.

• 

2.1K Posts

March 23rd, 2023 01:00

Hi, I would like to suspect a hardware issue on the server. But which part is hard to say for me. Also, are there any warning messages in the System event log? like"the Inlet Temp Sensor(SEL1514) error" if you have like this warning it should be a power interposer board issue. Or a batch of cables that provides power to the fan, which can potentially cause the fan to communicate intermittently, leading to the above errors. Other than that sometimes a warm reboot or iDRAC reset may help to solve this issue. https://dell.to/3JFOky7

1 Rookie

• 

16 Posts

March 27th, 2023 02:00

The problem is fix after changing the Motherboard. Thanks @Dell-ErmanO @DELL-Young E @DELL-Chris H for giving me suggestion to solve the problem.

• 

2.1K Posts

March 27th, 2023 02:00

Hi, thanks for your feedback, have a good one!

No Events found!