Wronglebowski
1 Nickel

Flex Bay?

Jump to solution

I'm the new owner of a Dell PowerEdge R710. I've currently got the model that supports 8x 2.5" drives with options for a "Flexbay". I've tried researching this Flex Bay but I keep coming up with nothing. What were the options for this bay? I'm hoping I could use it to add some 3.5" drives as the 2.5" SAS Drives are quite expensive.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

RE: Flex Bay?

Jump to solution

TBU stands for a Tape Backup Unit, such as a Dat72 or an RD1000, for example.

Chris Hawk

Dell | Social Outreach Services - Enterprise
Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro 
Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

0 Kudos
5 Replies

Jump to solution

Wronglebowski,

The easiest explanation is that the optional flex-bay expansion is intended to support the use of a half-height TBU. So when you have the chassis with the flexbay it will have different HDD configurations to allow for the room needed. These configurations are;

Up to six 3.5-inch SAS or SATA drives without the flex bay

OR

Four 3.5-inch SAS or SATA drive with the flex bay

OR

Up to eight 2.5-inch SAS or SATA drives with the flex bay

I hope this helps clear things up on the flexbay. If not let me know what else you would like know.

Chris Hawk

Download the Dell Quick Resource Locator app today to access PowerEdge support content on your mobile device! (iOS, Android, Windows)

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Wronglebowski
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

But what can I fit in this bay? Is there a list of compatible hardware accessories? I'm just a hobbist and I'm not clear on what TBU stands for exactly.

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

TBU stands for a Tape Backup Unit, such as a Dat72 or an RD1000, for example.

Chris Hawk

0 Kudos
Wronglebowski
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

So the ONLY function of this bay is for Tape Backups?

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

As far as I can tell it is.

Chris Hawk

0 Kudos