Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 4th, 2017 05:00

GPU support

Hi,

I would like to know which of your PowerEdge servers provide PCIe slots for GPUs. I would like know some more details about it as well, i.e. how many slots, how many links, how many GPUs can be plug in, are there any limitations in size or model of GPUs?

Thanks,

Miro

548 Posts

April 6th, 2017 00:00

Dell PE servers like the Tx30's series towers, only supports compute cards when configured with the GPU Installation Kit and the gruntier PSU's at the time of placing your order. In this way, the server has the required GPU auxilary power connectors required by many compute cards that Dell certifies (along with other mechanical bits to presumably hold the cards safely).

However, it must be noted that Dell does not support graphics functions via PCIe graphics cards like the Quadro P4000 you mentioned. Dell only supports compute cards intended to provide processing grunt - not graphics :emotion-18:

Obviously that does not mean PCIe graphics features will not work in this server, only that Dell will not support such configurations if you have issues. In such cases where you have issues with graphics, or use of non certified cards, you'd be on your own.

Just be warned that should you install a graphics card into a PE server and it provides your graphics function, rather than offloading compute tasks, some management features may not be accessible (since they are provided to the DRAC by the integrated graphics which would be disabled ).

As a side note, the PE server i have looked at is teh T630 which is a 2 socket tower server that allows up to 4 GPU compute cards to be installed but dependant on a number of condiitions/configurations of the server itself. Other PE servers modles may differ as to the number of suppoted compute cards.

I've not seen any specific Dell doc that state which servers support which compute cards and how many they actually can support, so unless others know and can share you'll have to do lots of reading :emotion-43:

Finally, it must also be noted that the GPU Installation Kit is not a self installed kit that one can 'order' with the hope of 'upgrading' a server post sale. As such it's wrong to call it a kit which is why i hate it being called that, it should be called GPU Installation Option' within the Dell PE custom configuration web page! So don't expect you can buy a server and then later upgrade it with a simple kit you can buy.

Good luck with your endevour :emotion-5:

[ Note to admin: reCAPTCHA is an absolute pain since i often have to click more than 40 times to post... i'm loosing interest in forums with such unfriendly systems ]

• 

8.4K Posts

April 4th, 2017 07:00

Stuhlo,

You can find most of your answers within the tabs found here. Such as system compatibility, as well as supported models of GPU's.

Let me know if this helps.

4 Posts

April 5th, 2017 05:00

Provided link contains only information about supported GPUs but I would like know which Dell servers support these GPUs.

Anyway, my second question would be whether it is possible to equip your servers with other GPU models. Specifically Nvidia Quadro P4000.

Thanks.

11 Posts

February 11th, 2019 14:00

Similar info as I received from a Dell Tech. We can try and stick anything in there we want, but Dell won't support it if anything goes wrong.

But, we're not trying to do compute stuff, we just need better gfx for stuff running on VMs. For example, our own software includes a 3D Fly-Through module that uses OpenGL. It won't run with only the integrated Matrox gfx in our new R7425s.

Dell says "You should have ordered the chassis that supports GPUs", but then tells me that chassis didn't even exist as an option when we bought them (which I find suspicious, as pre-sale another person at Dell sent me a list of supported GPUs and related info.).

Would our stuff run if I passed the GPU through to the VM? Can I do that with more than one VM at a time?

February 12th, 2019 13:00

Yeah, it's very disappointing from Dell, to say the least... It's for everything like this, including drive trays: you should have bought them at the initial configuration (with drives, minimum $600 for a 120GB SSD!!!!). And with the newer systems, such as our R7425, not only is it "use at your own risk, you should have purchased the one we offered at a 600% markup", but on top of it, you get punished acoustically: all the fans kick in at 100% permanently. Makes you feel good about being a customer :-)

February 12th, 2019 13:00

If you look at the bottom of this https://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/04/campaigns/poweredge-gpu the P4000 is indeed supported. But that must be the "order ahead, $4,000 version one from Dell" :-)

3 Posts

July 24th, 2019 00:00

Regarding Nvidia Quadro cards not being options for PowerEdge servers, Dell sells the Precision 7920 Rack workstation which is a rebadged PowerEdge R740 with GPU kit :

The current video card options for the Precision R7920 Rack  are:

• No Graphics option
  • Nvidia Quadro RTX6000, 24GB, 4DP, VirtualLink
  • Nvidia Quadro RTX5000, 16GB, 4DP, VirtualLink
  • Nvidia Quadro GV100, 32GB, 4 DP
  • Nvidia Quadro P6000 24GB, 4 DP, DL-DVI-D
  • Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB, 4 DP, DL-DVI-D
  • Nvidia Quadro P4000 8GB, 4 DP
  • Nvidia Quadro P2000 5GB, 4 DP
  • Nvidia Quadro P620, 2GB, 4 mDP to DP adapter
  • Nvidia Quadro P400, 2GB, 3 mDP to DP adapter
  • Radeon Pro WX 4100, 4GB, 4 mDP to DP adapter
  • Radeon Pro WX 4100, 4GB Low Profile, 4 mDP to DP adapter
  • Radeon Pro WX 5100, 8GB, 4 DP
  • Radeon Pro WX 7100, 8GB, 4 mDP
  • Dual NVIDIA Quadro P4000 8GB, 4 DP
  • Dual NVIDIA Quadro P2000 5GB, 4 DP
  • Dual NVIDIA Quadro P620, 2GB, 4 mDP, 8 mDP to DP adapter
  • Dual NVIDIA Quadro P400, 2GB, 3 mDP, 6 mDP to DP adapter
  • Dual Radeon Pro WX 4100, 4GB, 4 mDP, 8 mDP to DP adapter
  • Dual Radeon Pro WX 5100, 8GB, 4 DP
  • Dual Radeon Pro WX 7100, 8GB 4 DP
  • Quad AMD Radeon Pro WX 7100, 8GB 4 mDP

The Precision R7920 is definitely based on the PowerEdge R740. Earlier versions of the BIOS post would only mention R740 and not R7920, Some of the bundled manuals only mention R740 and not R7920.

January 10th, 2020 11:00

So the poweredge unit has to be approved to install a gpu?  If I got a R240, am I out of luck?

6 Posts

February 9th, 2024 15:31

Hi I'm needing some help on selecting the correct graphics card for a Dell PowerEdge T150 Server. The reason is I'm looking is because the onboard graphics card doesn't seem to be working I've tried to update the driver and still my resolution options are stilled greyed out!!!. I need to help in selecting the the right compatible card.

Many Thanks

Paul.

• 

3.3K Posts

February 9th, 2024 16:49

Hello,

Dell has not validated an add-in video card or GPU on the T150.

You may find some that work, but Dell hasn't validated one.

T150 : Spec sheet does not list any add-in video cards:

https://dell.to/48dtmRN

You can see Video specifications page 8

https://dell.to/3wbQYbY

Check your BIOS settings: You may check they are all set at default as a starting point then make changes if you need.

Video Memory Specifies the size video memory Page 6

Embedded Video Controller and Current State of Embedded Video Controller Page 11

https://dell.to/49cdctc

Verify you are on the latest Matrox Video Driver version 4.5.0.5

https://dell.to/48byPbx

Maybe someone in the community has installed a graphic card on the T150 and can share their experience.

6 Posts

February 9th, 2024 19:51

@Dell -Charles R​ 

Thanks for reaching out hopefully the driver update option might work.

6 Posts

February 12th, 2024 07:48

How is the video graphic controller chip enabled in the T150?

Paul.

• 

3.4K Posts

February 12th, 2024 10:32

You can check if the video is enable going into the system's BIOS during startup.

Look for settings related to graphics or video under the advanced settings menu.

Ensure that the integrated graphics option is set to Enabled or Auto

6 Posts

February 12th, 2024 12:34

Thankyou much appreciated!!

6 Posts

February 12th, 2024 12:36

Just on other question is WIN 10 Pro 22h2 ok to have installed on the T150, if not could this be the issue I was having with the Video Graphic Controller not working correctly?

No Events found!