Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

SS

June 19th, 2015 14:00

Getting "Memory not detected" when upgrading memory in R-310 core i3-550

I have tried both registered and unregistered with the same results The RAM was (i sent them back as non-functional) DDR3-1333MHz PC3-10600 ECC registered and the other was ECC unregistered. Total was 8GB. 

Is there a change in the BIOS that I need to make to upgrade from the original 2GB to 8GB?

• 

6.2K Posts

June 19th, 2015 17:00

Hello

I have tried both registered and unregistered with the same results

The memory controller on that processor does not support registered/buffered DIMMs.

If you are not buying the memory from us then I would suggest you search the manufacturers web site to see if they have validated the memory for use in the server. If you are buying the memory from us then the sales rep should have access to a list of validated memory for the system to sell.

There are many factors involved when installing memory such as rank, DRAM size, buffering, width, voltage, error correction, etc. If you are planning to install memory that is not validated then you will need to review data sheets for the memory controller and review the manual for the server regarding population rules. Even if you find memory that meets all of the requirements it still may not function correctly.

Thanks

June 22nd, 2015 06:00

Would you explain your last sentence, please? "Even if you find memory that meets all the requirements it still may not function correctly"  Why?? From what you are saying, even you cannot guarantee that dell memory will work

According to your manual - Chapter 8, pg 35, Table 7. DIMMs Supported - I should be able to utilize either unbuffered DDR3 1333 4GB Dual rank or registered DDR3 1333 4GB Dual Rank - of which I've tried both and get the same error "Memory not detected".

June 23rd, 2015 14:00

Is dell saying that if I bought 

SNPMFTJTC/4G

from them (listed by them as the right memory) or from another vendor, it may or may not work in their server??

• 

6.2K Posts

June 24th, 2015 12:00

Would you explain your last sentence, please? "Even if you find memory that meets all the requirements it still may not function correctly"  Why?? From what you are saying, even you cannot guarantee that dell memory will work

No, that is not what I said. I'll reword what I said again:

If you find memory that meets the population requirements of the server(Rank, speed, type, voltage, etc) that does not necessarily mean it will work with the server. Memory we have validated will work with the server.

I hope that clears it up, thanks.

No Events found!