Highlighted
hectorsouthern
1 Copper

HA at Baseport E890h is not Responding

Hi,

I have an old PowerEdge 6300 server, and when I boot it up it gives the the error

<code>HA at Baseport E890h is not Responding</code>

in the boot up BIOS. Then it beeps, and all the the HDD's start flashing orange apart from the one at the end. I have tried reseating them all, but the one at the end is the only one that does not flash orange.

When I put a bootable disk into the drive (as it has not OS yet) it says that there are no hard drives in the server. I have tried accessing the RAID config menu, it tells me to press <Ctrl>+<M> to get onto it, but does not give me a chance to access it as it moves onto the next thing, even when I hold it down of press the keys repeatedly as it goes past.

Thanks

Hector

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

Re: HA at Baseport E890h is not Responding

Hello Hector

It sounds like the RAID controller is failing. I would suggest disconnecting all of the drives to find out if it is a controller or HDD issue.

1. Shut down the server
  2. Pull out all of the HDDs. You do not need to completely remove them. Make sure they go back to the same slots when you insert them.
  3. If the error goes away with the HDDs removed then move the drives around to troubleshoot whether it is a drive or backplane issue
  4. If the error persists with the HDDs removed
    1. Shut the server down, disconnect power, and remove the PERC controller.
    2. If you get the same error with the card removed then the system board is likely faulty
    3. If you don't get the error then re-insert the card
    4. If the error goes away then re-seating the card resolved
    5. If the error returns when the card is re-inserted then I would suggest replacing the card

The error indicates a communication issue between the system board and the PERC. A bad backplane or HDD can cause the PERC to lock up and become unresponsive. The above steps should help to isolate between a bad system board, PERC, backplane, or HDD.

Thanks

Daniel Mysinger
Dell EMC, Enterprise Engineer

Get support on Twitter @DellCaresPRO

0 Kudos
hectorsouthern
1 Copper

Hi,

When the HDDs were removed, the error did not come up, so I put the drives back in and reseated them, and the error came up. I restarted the server again, just to make sure, and it did not come up! All the drives were green (this has never happened before) so I tried to install Windows 2000 Server, but it claimed that there were no hard drives to install onto.

Thanks

Hector

0 Kudos

It sounds like there may have been a communication issue between the drives and the controller.

The first thing you should do is boot to the controller BIOS and create an array. After the array is created then the RAID controller driver needs to be installed during the OS setup. Go to the download page for the 6300 and look under the SCSI RAID section:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/Product/poweredge-6300

Locate the driver for your controller and download it to a floppy. Press the F6 option during setup to load the driver. After an array is created and the driver is loaded the OS should be able to locate a hard disk drive to install to.

Thanks

Daniel Mysinger
Dell EMC, Enterprise Engineer

Get support on Twitter @DellCaresPRO

0 Kudos