Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 5th, 2017 09:00

HWC2005 system board riser cable or interconnect failure on R420

Hi. Some days ago I upgraded a Power Edge R420 with components from an identical server. Server booted as expected but after some minutes I saw the message "HWC2005 system board riser cable or interconnect failure" in the front display.

According to the user's manual this is because Riser Card 1 (part No. HC547) cannot work when two processors are in place and needs  to be replaced by Riser Card with part No. 7KMJ7.

I am sure this is the root cause of the problem since I uninstalled the 2nd processor, reallocate my RAM modules and problem solved!

So I have some questions:

how bad is living with this error? performance on my server will be affected? keeping the server working with this error could provoke additional problems over the time?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Jaime

• 

6.2K Posts

October 5th, 2017 13:00

Hello

Although it is unsupported, I don't see a reason why it would cause issues. Some configuration options are strictly enforced, but it appears that is not the case with the riser configuration on your server.

The installed riser affects the number of PCIe lanes assigned and how the bus enumerates. If all of your PCIe slots are functional then it would appear there are no issues. I would regard the error message as a warning that you're running in a degraded configuration, meaning that you could have more available PCI lanes/bandwitch on riser 1 in a supported configuration. I don't see how it could affect anything else in the system.

Thanks

No Events found!