Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 30th, 2018 15:00

Hardware to mount 3.5" drive into PowerEdge R710

I'm trying to mount two 3.5" hard drives in the front, hot-swappable drive bays of a PowerEdge R710.  I thought the server would have the rails to mount the drives, but it seems I was mistaken.  Can anyone direct me to the part I need to buy, so that I can install a 3.5" drive in the front, hot-swappable drive bay?

Here's a picture of the existing drive installed in the server, alongside the new one I just bought.  

image.png

Best regards,

Mike

April 1st, 2018 21:00

After a bit more searching on Amazon, I found exactly what I was looking for.  For all you out there who need to mount a 3.5" or a 2.5" hard drive in a Dell PowerEdge server, don't pay 400% more than you need to by buying through Dell, just get what you need from Amazon or the like

The hard drive caddy's I posted here, are $ 16.99 each, said to be compatible with Dell PowerEdge servers, and at the time of this writing had 18, 5-star customer reviews.  

• 

6.2K Posts

March 30th, 2018 17:00

Hello

Please send a private message with your service tag to ensure we have all appropriate information on your system.

Thanks

April 1st, 2018 21:00

Thanks, please be aware I have already contacted someone at Dell using your on-line chat system.  And I called Technical Support on the phone. 

I was told I'd need to spend $ 600.00 on one 600 GByte hard drive, because the rails come pre-attached to a hard drive and that they're not sold separately.  That seemed pretty ridiculous to me, because I already bought 2 500 GByte SSD drives for $128.00 each.  All I need are two, $20.00 rails to mount the hard drives in my PowerEdge R710.  

You don't need my service tag to advise me on what part number I need to buy.  The hard drives I purchased are mounted in 3.5" HDD Adapter Caddy Trays, which hot swappable plug (bought on Amazon, here's the link).  If you can't help me, then please don't waste more of my time by being the 3rd person from Dell to ask for my service tag number, when I've already given you everything you need to know, namely the model number and item I need.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 10th, 2018 10:00

Great! Thank you for this tip, verry helpful for me :)
No Events found!