Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

6 Posts

February 13th, 2019 11:00

High CPU usage and low fan RPM

Hello everyone, I recently bought a dell R610, I noticed that with the use of the CPU almost at 90% the fans maintain the same speed they have in idle, which stands at ~ 4000 rpm, and the server chassis is really hot. In addition, from the iDRAC 6 enterprise interface I only see the ambient temperature probe. Does anyone have advice or solutions? Another question: how can I see the temperatures of the various components?

• 

6.2K Posts

February 13th, 2019 14:00

Hello

The ambient temperature probe is the only one I see listed in the iDRAC or OpenManage Server Administrator on 11th generation systems. More probes are listed in later generations, but the ambient probe seems to be the only one with the R610. If there are thermal issues there should be entries in the hardware log.

The BMC/iDRAC controls fan speeds. I would make sure the hardware is up to date. If you suspect the system is not increasing fan speeds when it should then you can re-flash the iDRAC firmware. You can also try draining flea power to clear non-volatile memory.

http://www.dell.com/support/

Thanks

6 Posts

February 13th, 2019 15:00

So the only thing that controls the fans is IDRAC/BMC , not the BIOS and not the installed OS, right? I have updated the IDRAC firmware to the latest version today, same situation. Hardware log clear, can it mean that the processors have never reached critical temperatures? Another thing, how can I monitor the temperatures of the various components? VIa BMC? From the vmware esxi monitor tool I have negative processor temperatures, about -50, probe reading error? Also there is a way to control the fan curve or similar?

6 Posts

February 13th, 2019 16:00

so what should I do now? A bios update or what? My bios is 6.5 version, the latest version is 6.6, would it make a difference? 

• 

6.2K Posts

Installing our custom image may help with driver communication, but it is unlikely to affect fan response. The ACPI driver in the OS can affect CPU states, but it shouldn't have any impact on thermal profiles.

6 Posts

I found a way to control temperatures, via BMC with the ipmitool tool. The problem persists, I have negative temperatures on the processors, maybe that's why the fans are always kept to a minimum.Cattura.JPG

I could try to install a custom Dell version of Vmware ESXI or a previous version at 6.7, I read on some forums that others have problems with the detection of temperature with version 6.7. Having discovered this, and having also updated idrac, what could be the problem?

1 Rookie

• 

897 Posts

February 13th, 2019 20:00

I would highly recommend the bios update, and just to be sure, which version of idrac are you running at this point?

6 Posts

February 14th, 2019 03:00

Actually i have installed the latest version for R610: 2.92. What is the easiest way to update the bios? knowing that i can not do this anymore with the life cycle controller since the r610 is no longer supported by the ftp.dell.com repository.

6 Posts

February 16th, 2019 06:00

Hello to all, I started a discussion a few days ago related to negative temperatures on processors (https://www.dell.com/community/PowerEdge-Hardware-General/High-CPU-usage-and-low-fan-RPM/m-p/7238888#M59817) but I still do not solve the problem. I explain, I have a Dell R610, from Vmware esxi I realized that the temperatures on the processors were negative, then realizing that the fans did not increase in RPM as the work load increased I understood that it was not a problem of the os or temperature probe reading error.  So I updated the BIOS, via windows, and iDRAC to the latest versions, knowing that the fan controller resides in iDRAC. From windows, if I install a program to read the temperatures they are positive and stand at 30/35 degrees in idle, so right, so what would be left to try now? I also tried to install various versions of iDRAC firmware and I tried to reset it by disconnecting the power from the server for an hour without result. I wait for advice.

Edit: the latter message was present in a separate discussion and was moved here.
No Events found!