Highlighted
LuMags1
1 Nickel

How to add physical disk to degraded virtual S100 RAID1 disk

Jump to solution

Hello World,

Had an amber status this morning and upon investigation it appears I've somehow lost a phy disk from my Virtual drive. Not sure why, no improper shutdowns etc.

I cant work out how to bring this "Ready" disk 3-03  to re-join Virtual Disk 2. I've run OMSA but have no options as to what to do with this #2 Virtual one. I have options like Check Consistency, Rebuild etc on #1.

2018-07-05 10.26.59.jpg

What can you suggest I do please to recover my redundancy on Disk #2?

On a Dell T110 II , latest BIOS etc.

Many thanks,

Luke

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: How to add physical disk to degraded virtual S100 RAID1

Jump to solution

Hello

If you assign the disk that is in a ready state as a hot spare it should initiate a rebuild. I suggest running diagnostics on the drive first.

http://www.dell.com/storagecontrollermanuals/

Thanks

Daniel Mysinger
Dell EMC, Enterprise Engineer

Get support on Twitter @DellCaresPRO

4 Replies

Jump to solution

Hello

If you assign the disk that is in a ready state as a hot spare it should initiate a rebuild. I suggest running diagnostics on the drive first.

http://www.dell.com/storagecontrollermanuals/

Thanks

Daniel Mysinger

LuMags1
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi Daniel,

I played with the hotspare settings but didn't see any options in the PERC controller to rebuild etc. That said I hadn't gone into OMSA as I was expecting it to be done pre-boot so I'll look at that.

Not sure what that link you gave me was meant to do as I got a popup saying "There are no products in this category." .

I'll set that READY disk as hotspare then boot and goto OMSA and see if my options have changed.

Cheers for now,

Luke

0 Kudos
LuMags1
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Top marks! Set as hot spare and now OMSA is doing magical things. I'll leave this to run and do its thing.

Out of interest. I've got a dual-boot on this T110ii , Win 10 and now Srv2018R2 (for diagnostics since drive failure). Do I need to stay in Server until the rebuild is OK or is this a BIOS/PERC managed activity so I can jump back into Win10 and the rebuild will continue behind the scenes (as OMSA doesn't work on 10 - and understandably so).

Cheers again!! Spot on.jpgHe wasn't wrong!

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

The S100 is a driver-based controller. If this were a hardware controller then I would say yes, but you will interrupt the rebuild if the operating system is shutdown or restarted. I suggest that you not boot to another OS until the rebuild is complete.

Daniel Mysinger

0 Kudos