Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 5th, 2016 18:00

How to find CPU Microcode Patch Revision?

G'day,

As per next VMware KB: 

kb.vmware.com/.../search.do

CPU Microcode Patch Revision must be updated to certain version. Does anyone know how can I find CPUID Model (Stepping) of installed CPUs and Microcode Patch Revision it has?

R630 host is running ESXi 5.5.

BIOS version 2.1.5.

Kind Regards,

Alex.

2 Posts

September 14th, 2016 03:00

Dell just released new bios for FC630 , R630 which updates the microcode

548 Posts

September 6th, 2016 00:00

During boot process, on some systems, the BIOS lists info about CPU and it's CPUID but i don't know if R630 would show such info (T610 deos not).

In any case, finding out what microcode Dell has packaged into the BIOS is not a simple task and unfortunately Dells BIOS release notes don't always clearly state what is being fixed/updated/improved and why.

However, if you look at R630 BIOS version 2.17, there is a fix referencing "a performance issue introduced by Intel Xeon Processor E5-2600 v4 Product Family Processor Microcode 0x1A" but in typical Dell fassion, it's not clear if the fix is that they update microcode to 0x1B :emotion-42:

So, if updating to BIOS version 2.17 does not fix your issue, then you need to hasssle Dell so they update their BIOS to reflect the corrected microcode referenced in your ESXi link above...  Oh, and while your at it, maybe suggest they put a little more detail in their BIOS web page and release notes :emotion-4:

September 7th, 2016 19:00

I wish Dell support would reply the same good :-)

Thanks Skylarking.

If anyone would need - you may find CPU Microcode version in System Setup (BIOS). In my case for R630 box running on E5 V4 CPUs BIOS version 2.1.5 has 0xB000017 version.

Yes I did noticed ver 2.1.7 mentioned microcode fixes but as our client has quite complicated change management procedure wanted to make sure I would need to do only one BIOS upgrade.

I'll post here new microcode version after upgrade.

Cheers,

2 Posts

September 12th, 2016 02:00

Just upgraded our bios of a FC630 node to 2.1.7 , microcode stays 0xB000017.

New bios that's fixing this ESXi issue , should we coming out later this week( according to dell customer support).

No Events found!