Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

October 16th, 2017 12:00

How to install Windows Server 2012 R2 in PE 2950 without double-layer DVD drive?

Hi,

I have to reinstall O/S in a PE 2950.  I saw that Windows Server 2012 R2 is supported in this server.  So I'm thinking about using this O/S.

I'm using SBUU to install the O/S.  It asks me to insert the installation media in DVD drive.

However, the ISO image is 5.02 GB.  I don't have double-layer DVD burner.  And the server does not have double-layer DVD drive either.

Am I stuck?  I've heard of making a bootable USB from ISO image.  Does it work with Win Srv 2012 R2?  And will the installation work?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can shed light on this.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

October 16th, 2017 12:00

Skip SBUU and install directly from the OS media. You don't need it.

To make a bootable USB, open a command prompt:

diskpart

select disk 1
clean
create partition primary
active
format fs=fat32 quick
assign
exit

xcopy E:\*.* /s/e/f F:

exit

This assumes that your flash drive is assigned the drive letter F:. This also assumes that disk 1 is your flash drive. In diskpart, type "list disk" to make sure you "select" the right "disk".

45 Posts

October 17th, 2017 06:00

Hi.  Thanks for your reply.

I have a 64 GB USB drive.  At "format fs=fat32 quick", I got

0 percent completed

Virtual Disk Service error:
The volume size is too big.

Could I use "Disk Management" to create a small partition?  If no, please give me the command to create the partition.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

October 17th, 2017 07:00

You could try:

create partition primary size=8000

Otherwise, you'll need to use a smaller flash drive.

45 Posts

October 17th, 2017 11:00

Thanks for the "size=8000".

There is another issue :(

There is the file \sources\install.wim which is 4.44 GB.  So it can't be fit into the FAT32 partition.  Should I try NTFS?

45 Posts

October 18th, 2017 04:00

From Google, I found Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool (http://wudt.codeplex.com/) which allows us to make bootable USB drive from ISO image.

Luckily, this program still works in Win 10.

So I made a bootable USB drive from Win Srv 2012 R2 ISO file, booted and installed in this PE 2950.  Things seem OK for the moment, but I think I still need to download and install specific drivers though.

(Digression)

Every time I go to Dell support website, it's a headache for me.  I got to go through myriad of packages to find out which one is the most recent and what is necessary to install, etc.

We have some Lenovo computers and they have a nice utility called "(Lenovo) System Update" that we can install in brand new O/S, even those from non-OEM install media.  This "System Update" would download the list of drivers from Lenovo web site and install them for us.  Very useful.

(End of digression)

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

October 18th, 2017 08:00

Sorry, I missed your previous post. You can do an NTFS flash drive, but it is easier to use the tool.

Yes, absolutely you need to install any available drivers after installing the OS, but there aren't many with 2012 and later on this hardware as most of them are native. In fact, I think the only thing you'll need to install is OpenManage Server Administrator:

https://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER02020149M/1/OM-SrvAdmin-Dell-Web-WINX64-7.4.0-866_A00.exe

Every "computer" brand has some sort of update utility, servers are different, although there are usually tools to assist. Dell has something similiar - Server Update Utility. You can use it offline as a repository with SMTD/SBUU or you can run it from within Windows and it will inventory and prompt to update system firmware (and drivers if run in the OS). Downloading the drivers and firmware individually from the Support Site requires a little knowledge of the hardware - what is installed, available, necessary for server maintenance.

No Events found!