Highlighted
dell128
2 Bronze

How to move raid from SAS 6/IR integrated onto new Perc H700

Jump to solution

I recently replaced the SAS 6/IR integrated with the the PERC H700. What is the procedure to get the OS to boot now? I had a raid 1 on the OLD SAS6/IR, how do I move that to the new controller? Do I need to import foreign settings? I tried CTRL -R import but it says import failed because disk are offline(How do I bring disk back online) . I have a total of 6 disk and before swapping out , I had a raid 1 with the OS. I really don't want to reisntall the OS if I don't have to. Thank YOu

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
theflash1932
6 Indium

Re: How to move raid from SAS 6/IR integrated onto new Perc H700

Jump to solution

It is possible that the H700 simply does not support migration of SAS 6/iR VD's.  (The PERC 7 "family" docs say that migration of VD's can be done from SAS 6/iR controllers, however, the H200 (part of the PERC 7 family) DOES support migration of SAS 6/iR VD's, while the H700 does not say anything about it being supported (or not).)

"Virtual disks that are created on the PERC 6 and H200 family of controllers
can be migrated to the PERC H700 and H800 cards without risking data
or configuration loss."

- PERC H700 Manual, p.28

View solution in original post

7 Replies
dell128
2 Bronze

Re: SAS 6/IR integrated

Jump to solution

I recently replaced the SAS 6/IR integrated with the the PERCH700. What is the procedure to get the OS to boot now? I had a raid 1 on the OLD SAS6/IR, how do I move that to the new controller? Do I need to import foreign settings?

0 Kudos
theflash1932
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Boot to CTRL-R, highlight the controller on the VD MGMT screen, then Import the foreign configuration.

Bootable Windows virtual disks were not supported for migration from a SAS 6/iR to a PERC 6/i.  The H700 does not say one way or another, but there is a possibility that it will not boot.

0 Kudos
dell128
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

says offline virtual disks cannot be imported

0 Kudos
theflash1932
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Did you do anything with them before moving them ... forcing them offline or deleting the virtual disk from the SAS 6/iR?

0 Kudos
dell128
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Nope..Just swapped out the card

0 Kudos
theflash1932
6 Indium

Jump to solution

It is possible that the H700 simply does not support migration of SAS 6/iR VD's.  (The PERC 7 "family" docs say that migration of VD's can be done from SAS 6/iR controllers, however, the H200 (part of the PERC 7 family) DOES support migration of SAS 6/iR VD's, while the H700 does not say anything about it being supported (or not).)

"Virtual disks that are created on the PERC 6 and H200 family of controllers
can be migrated to the PERC H700 and H800 cards without risking data
or configuration loss."

- PERC H700 Manual, p.28

View solution in original post

dell128
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

Thank You for your time. I'm just going to do it from scratch, server is not in production yet, might as well start from scratch.

0 Kudos