Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 30th, 2017 03:00

How to update system firmware on PE 1950?

I have a PE 1950 running Server 2003 R2 32-bit SP2. Recently it has developed a problem where about once every 2 weeks it hangs and needs a reboot to get going again. Checking the Dell OpenManage Server Administration logs I can see that at the time it happens I'm getting the error: "processor sensor for CPU1, IERR was asserted" So far, the closest article I've found to resolving this is this one:

http://www.dell.com/support/article/uk/en/ukbsdt1/SLN298205/troubleshooting-cpu-internal-error--cpu-ierr--on-poweredge-servers?lang=EN

...which suggests "Update the system firmware as this can also resolve this error, as well as prevent future fault." but what exactly are the system drivers?  On the Dell website I can't see anything that correlates to that.  There's the BIOS upgrade, but not sure if that's what this article was referring to.

Can anyone advise me please?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

June 30th, 2017 09:00

Hello.

System drivers are programs that facilate commincation between your hardware including processors and the operating systems. Out of date drivers and firmware often trigger system alert messages. Create a bootable CD/DVD and apply relevant updates: https://dell.app.box.com/bootable1950 

16 Posts

July 3rd, 2017 03:00

Hello,

Thanks, but that link doesn't work.

What is this name of this resource so I can search for it?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

July 3rd, 2017 10:00

Not sure why his link to Box.

You can use SUU (Server Update Utility) with SBUU/SMTD or from Windows, or you can use Repository Manager to create a custom repository or bootable disc.

16 Posts

July 5th, 2017 05:00

Ok, I downloaded the Repository Manager, latest version (2.21?) but when I go to create a Repository, the PowerEdge 1950 isn't listed!

Is it too old or something?  Do I need to use an older version of Repository Manager?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

July 5th, 2017 07:00

The 1950 is 10 years old. RM has historically had it in there, but they can't keep them all in there forever. Try an older version.

16 Posts

July 5th, 2017 09:00

Now installed 1.9 which was the oldest one available from the page I was on, but results are the same... still nothing showing for the PE 1950.  Does this mean that is doesn't matter which version of the RM you use, if you're accessing the Dell online catalog then it will always bring back the same results?

Never had so much difficulty trying to update drivers before!

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

July 5th, 2017 11:00

Did you just google "repository manager"? Try version 1.6 ... if you go to the Drivers and Downloads page for the 1950, 1.6 is the version you are given. You should get downloads from the specific server page:

https://downloads.dell.com/FOLDER01431614M/1/Dell_Repository_Manager_1.6.0.244.msi

If you want "easier", you can do it the standard way, and update them one by one in the OS (start with BIOS, then ESM).

No Events found!