Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 17th, 2013 04:00

Im new to the Dell PE 2800 world

ok first off, im new to the dell PE 2800. and servers in general. me and my father are trying to start a gaming server and bought this beast at a MSU Surplus store. when we got home we plugged in the power, key board, monitor and mouse. fired her up and a bunch of fans and light were going. we were excited as ever. then the monitor kicked on and just shut off. the MSU tech said it works great when we bought it. so we were kinda let down. but now we have to much invested in this to stop. 

any ideas on what could be wrong? we are not sure if its a HW problem or what. please help!!!

• 

8.4K Posts

October 17th, 2013 07:00

Smeltcraftservers,

First thing I would do is to take the server to a Minimum to Post configuration. Take everything out of the server but the following; (with HDDS you can simply pull out to where they aren't connected, but can keep in the slot)

• System Board
  • Processor
  • One stick of memory in DIMM1-A or DIMM1-B
  • Power supply
  • Riser
  • Control panel (power button - only required if the last power state was off)

Power up with this installed and see if it clears POST (Power On Self Test). If so then power down and then install the hardware that was removed one by one to isolate what device is causing the problem.

Also with it being moved, it would be a good idea to reseat everything as it may have vibrated loose.

Let me know what you find out.

October 17th, 2013 07:00

Chris H,

Thanks for the fast reply, could it be that maybe the resolution was set to
high and the monitor cant handle it? or even the video card be at fault?
ill try what you suggested and let you know what i find.

(is ubuntu a good server OS to use?)

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

October 17th, 2013 12:00

Be sure to reseat the processors (swapping and/or booting with one at a time) ... A very common issue with these servers. You said you had too much invested... How much did you pay? Ubuntu server is a decent server OS, if you know how to use it. I don't know how good it will be for a game server ... It depends on the game reqs.

October 17th, 2013 18:00

well we actually retried after letting it have power all day and it turned on. i made a Ubuntu Boot Disk using Ubuntu V12.03.4 and infrarecorder. but now we are kinda lost during the boot install it asks what we would like to install besides the core pack.

• OpenSSH server
  • DNS server
  • LAMP server

not sure what would be best for a server that will need to run a web/ forum page and the game itself, any suggestions?

thank you everyone for the help. 

No Events found!