Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

October 13th, 2016 15:00

Install GPU in Poweredge T710

Hi,

we want to install a GeForce Titan X in our Poweredge T710.

It has the right PCI slot, however, I am not sure about the necessary power supply.

Do we need a Dell Power Kit to install it with the correct Power Supply, and if yes can I order one?

We also though it might be possible to use cable splitters or cable adapters to connect the graphics card with the power supply. 

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Aydogan

548 Posts

October 13th, 2016 23:00

Dell's 11th generation of PE Servers did not come with an option to include a graphics card or GPU processing card. As such, no power feeds were available for a PCIe card and no kits were available to provide such feeds for PCIe cards :emotion-42:

However this did not mean one couldn't have things working, only that Dell did not support such a configuration. As such, if one had issues, one would be on their own :emotion-10:

In my case, i wanted real graphics as my T610 server wasn't tucked away in a server room (and thus had both server and client duties). Sadly, my T610 did not have a x16 PCIe slots, instead it had a x8 slot which has a 25W power limit for the installed PCIe card. However i modified a low powered x16 graphics card to fit the x8 slot and then set Embedded Video Controller to disabled within Integrated devices section of BIOS. It has been working very well for many years. The graphics card i used was a 30W XFX Geforce 7600 GT which i modified by cutting a slot into the card connector to allow it to fit into the x8 PCIe slot of my T610. Only downside is that you loose some IDRAC features by using PCIe graphics but i didn't need remote management :emotion-2:

In one sence, your T710 is simpler in that you don't have to modify a graphics card to fit. However, you may still be limited to 25W per slot, though i suspect it's more a cooling issue than a limit to the electrical capabilities of the slot itself. As such, i'd suspect the PCIe slot can indeed provide 75W reliably. Unfortunately you will have to pinch the power needed for a PEG connector from somewhere and thus hack the server with a soldering iron or crimp tool and some wiring :emotion-4:

Many forum users have reported their MacGyvered servers have had no issues pulling 75W from the PCIe slot (where they have installed a graphics card). Some have even MacGyvered their system to steal power from other areas to provide a PEG connector and thus allow a 300W graphics card to work. Unfortunately some have had no end of problems getting a card to even be seen by BIOS or OS (usually due to BIOS not allowing embedded video to be disabled).

So it can be a hit and miss affair though i suspect you will have little problems if you are carefull where you wire up the PEG connector and reduce componentry to compensate for the 225W of power the new PEG connector is sending to the graphics card :emotion-5:

February 1st, 2017 12:00

Any help with installing a ATI v9800 on a dell poweredge t1710? Also, can this box help assist if not from Newegg link below?

The dell poweredge that I am thinking of buying has two 1100 w pSU's.

https://m.newegg.com/product/index?itemnumber=N82E16817101044

please get back to me as the pc is on an auction site and ends soon! :)

Thanks for your help

Paul

1 Message

May 20th, 2017 09:00

Hey Skylark, I recently purchased a T610 for $20 dollars (Steal!) at a local flea market and I've been working on converting the beast into a full functioning media center / light gaming machine. Every question I seem to have leads right back to a new thread with you posting in it so I was wondering if you could give me some insight.

I've dropped in a new processor and reconfigured the ram, installed a client OS (Windows 8 ultimate), and set up sound and everything else required except the GPU. I've done loads of research on the limitations of the PCIe-x8 slots on this thing and I feel like the best course of action is to go with putting in a Radeon RX460--which actually is designed for the PCIe-x8 slot, selecting a version that has an external PEG connector to draw the power. The card draws less than 75W total at max consumption (IIRC I've seen a TDP of around 65) so by connecting it to a 6 pin on the PDB there shouldn't be any problems regardless of how the card distributes the power. 

I noticed that you've said that others have rigged the system up to steal power from other areas to provide a PEG connector, which seems like my best course of action. Do you know specifically which slot (such as the data-tape deck) other's have used for their cards, or do you have any recommendations? Obviously working with distributing around 60w is a lot less than a full 300w card, and given the price I got the thing for, I'm not afraid of taking some risk.

14 Posts

December 11th, 2017 13:00

hi how did you get on ..as ahve a T610..did you see the post on serverfault .com- I realise T410 but seems applicable

PowerEdge T410 with GeForce GTX 970 - Independent power source needed?

1 Message

April 5th, 2019 14:00

For anyone that finds themself on this page wondering about installing a full size GPU in a PowerEdge T710. Works without issue. I needed the following items:

The full size GPU won't fit by itself in the T710's chassis. The PCIe x16 slot is lined up with the RAID controller storage slot so only a very shallow card would fit. Also, the x16 slot is all the way at the top of the motherboard and with the orientation of the GTX 1660, the fans would have been blowing against the top of the case with about 1 inch of clearance.

The GPU bracket rotates the card so it will blow toward the side panel, however I just left the side panel off. Long term I will probably cut some holes in the side panel to vent the heat. Pay close attention the location of the 8pin PCIe power connector. The EVGA card had it directly in the middle of the top edge, which ended up leaving little room for the 8pin power to make a 90 degree angle between the CPU fan shroud and the card.

So far, super happy and I keep finding uses for this T710 we bought for work around 8 years ago. It has been my video encoding and Virtual Machine work horse.

1 Message

December 1st, 2019 16:00

Excuse me, with that vertical bracket wouldn’t the gpu blow against the mother board instead of the outside? How does it work?

No Events found!