Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 14th, 2014 07:00

Installing DRAC in a PE 2900

I have a PowerEdge 2900 and just purchased a WW126 DRAC5 remote access card with long cables.  The DRAC documentation indicates that the hardware installation procedure is in the computer hardware manual.  It isn't.  Nor is it in the motherboard manual.

In the motherboard manual I don't see any connectors that look likely for places to plug in the cables.  Do they go into the floppy and IDE connectors or what?

• 

8.4K Posts

November 14th, 2014 09:00

JohnRFlemming,

I apologize for the instructions not being in the manual. The Drac will install in the slot shown below.

The cables for the Drac connect between the Drac card and the dimms. 

They are side by side. 

I hope this helps show how to install the Drac. If this doesn't completely answer your question, or if you have any other questions and concerns then let me know.

21 Posts

November 14th, 2014 09:00

Looks as if that should do it... I'll see on Sunday when I open it up.

21 Posts

November 16th, 2014 08:00

Well, it don't look like that.  There's a card in between the lowest PCI slot and the places where the DRAC plugs to the motherboard.  This card has some round cables going to the front of the motherboard. It appears to be some kind of remote configuration card. I can't get the cables to reach over it.

I took some photos when the system rebooted but lost them.  There was a prompt to press (or maybe Control-I?) to set it up.  I set it up with a shared NIC and appropriate static IP and account, but nothing is responding in that IP from a workstation or a server.

21 Posts

November 20th, 2014 08:00

Hello?  Anybody home?

• 

8.4K Posts

November 20th, 2014 11:00

Sorry for the delay.

From looking at the pictures you sent the drac is in the wrong location. On the first picture you posted, at the top you will see the blue clips below that multiple colored cable. The Drac will mount in those clips. From picture 2 you sent the Drac would mount on the other side of the metal plate from the cable you referenced that is labeled CNTRL-1.

After it is installed, and you hook up the cables. You will connect the network cable to the RJ-45 port on the Drac. Then boot to the CTRL-E prompt you mentioned and set the Nic to Dedicated. 

After that the card should be accessible from the network. 

Let me know how it goes.

21 Posts

November 21st, 2014 08:00

Thanks.  May not get to it until just after the holiday.

21 Posts

November 22nd, 2014 06:00

Sigh.  OK, I got it mounted and connected but it ain't working. Never seen a card with PCI connector that didn't plug into a PCI slot, but whatever.

During the boot I got "Remote Access Card Detected" followed by "Remote Access Controller initialization failed" and something about USB ports may not work.  

When I went into configuration via Control-E I didn't have Dedicated as a choice.  Just Shared or Failover.

The light is on where the Ethernet cable connects but nothing responds on the IP.

Might I have a bad DRAC?

1 Message

August 1st, 2020 05:00

Was there any further update on this item?  

I installed my DRAC card according to the pictures posted above, and I too was confused about the lack of use with the PCI card port.

More importantly, I only see "Shared" or "Failover" on my DRAC settings when I enter configuration (CTRL-E).  Any update or resolution on this matter?

Thanks,

JB

• 

3.6K Posts

August 3rd, 2020 18:00

Hi,
May I direct you to this article?
https://dell.to/33oxaBG

Hope this helps and have a great one!

No Events found!