Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 10th, 2014 17:00

Installing a new blade M620 in an existing M1000e

Hello,

I want to install and configure a new M620 in a M1000e that already contains 8 M600 .... and I am not quite sure where to start. 

We have iDRAC and iKVM. I dont know how to configure the network and enable iDRAC on the new blade and configure it from the web interface. Our firmware version for CMC is quite old  ( 1.30 ) . Should I first update that ?  

What are the main steps to install and configure a new server on a m1000e ? How do I get keyboard+monitor access to the new server? Can you refer me to a document that would guide me through the steps ?

Thanks

Gilbert

35 Posts

July 1st, 2014 14:00

For the records, I had to acces the second CMC via serial link. 

I got a description of the cable here: 

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/b/techcenter/archive/2013/04/09/managing-m1000e-chassis-using-cmc-via-serial-connector.aspx

I setup a tftp server (local IP 192.168.0.86 on our network) and placed the firmimg.cmc file in the root folder of this TFTP server.

Once connected to the CMC via serial cable, using a terminal emulator on a PC, I ran the 2 commands:

recover setniccfg -d                      /* to get the NIC working */

recover fwupdate -g -a 192.168.0.86 

The update went smoothly and the CMC is now redundant and the standby CMC can be seen again from the web GUI.

35 Posts

June 10th, 2014 17:00

From the LCD display, I can read this for the new M620 server:

Warning CPU2 VTT PG: Version Change sensor for CPU2, firmware or software incompatibility (iDRRAC 9 with CMC) was asserted

21 Posts

June 11th, 2014 05:00

You need at least CMC version 4.0 to support the M620.

You can find the Chassis Management update here

Version 4.50: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=D2KPX

21 Posts

June 11th, 2014 06:00

will it also support the M600 that we have in the same chassis ?

Yes it will support the M600

35 Posts

June 11th, 2014 06:00

Thanks.  4.50 supports the following:

PowerEdge M1000E
PowerEdge M820
PowerEdge M420
PowerEdge M620
PowerEdge M520

will it also support the M600 that we have in the same chassis ?

35 Posts

June 12th, 2014 17:00

I updated the firmware to 4.50 and not I see the new M620 . I also update iKVM and iDRAC7.

I can also access the console, ready to install the OS. Perfect.

-----------

However, now I have the following message on M1000e Chassis Health ( chassis overview) :

Chassis management controller (CMC) redundancy is lost.

I cannot figure out what it really means and how to get rid of it. Any suggestion ?

21 Posts

June 13th, 2014 00:00

Well, if you have 2 cmc in the chassis, you will need to update both to firmware version 4.50

You also requested documentation: http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/systems-management/w/wiki/1987.dell-chassis-management-controller.aspx

35 Posts

June 13th, 2014 08:00

I am not aware that we have 2 CMC in the chassis. That would mean 2 controllers in the same chassis? How can I tell that I have two ( from the CMC web GUI for example) ? 

So far, I have been connecting to the CMC with the web GUI on  192.168.0.120 . How can I reach any other CMC ?

9.3K Posts

June 15th, 2014 21:00

When you get to the section where you can upgrade the CMC firmware, it would list both the active and standby CMC. I usually update the standby first, and let it reboot, and then I update the active CMC. Updating the active CMC restarts it and forces a failover to the standby CMC, so if it's already on the new firmware, you only have to do this failover once.

Note that updating the CMC does not require shutting down the blades or so, but the fans in the chassis will run full speed for a minute or so while the CMC is rebooting (and unable to use its sensors to determine the temperature and lower the fan speed as it's not needing to run full speed).

35 Posts

June 16th, 2014 06:00

Thank you for the reply. 

Here is what I see in the CMC update page:

and what I see on the Overview page:

So, I see only 1 CMC and I have a warning about lost redundancy. Is there any way I can "start" or see the other CMC ?

21 Posts

June 17th, 2014 01:00

Just lookup the IP for the other CMC and connect to it. you can find the IP on the front LCD of the M1000e.

This info is all in the manuals link I provided in my previous post.

35 Posts

June 24th, 2014 11:00

Thanks for the reply.

I cannot find the IP for the other CMC. On the LCD panel, I see only one ip:  192.168.0.120. I scan the whole subnet and could not find the other CMC.

I tried to update the firmware for the standby cmc from the RACADM:

$ racadm fwupdate -f 192.168.0.71 gilbert gilbert -d firmimg-4.5-A00.cmc -m cmc-standby
ERROR: 'cmc-standby' not listed in inventory

I tried to force a fail over:  http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/servers/f/177/p/19386346/19897301.aspx

$ racadm cmcchangeover
ERROR: Unable to perform requested operation.

Can I simply shutdown, remove the active CMC and restart ? The standy (with old firmware) should kick in, isn't it ?

Thanks

9.3K Posts

June 24th, 2014 19:00

The 2nd CMC wouldn't have a 2nd IP address; it's for failover only and boots up when the active CMC drops (due to failure or reboot after firmware update/intentional reboot) and then takes on the same identity. The 2nd CMC has it's own network ports to give redundancy there too (in case the network connection on the active CMC drops you can force a failover at the chassis).

You can safely pull the CMC out (an inch or so), wait a minute and then reinsert it again to let it boot up again. It will run the fans on the chassis at 100% speed while the CMC is out and till it's operational again, but the running blades shouldn't be affected.

35 Posts

June 25th, 2014 18:00

Thanks for the suggestion.

I did pull out the active CMC (1). I waited for a good 5 minute with the fans running at 100%. The other CMC (2) never took over.

I put back the CMC (1) and after 2-3 minutes it booted and the fans slowed down. I still cannot see the other CMC (2) on the Web GUI and I still have a warning about lost redundancy.

The status light on the other CMC (2) is "Amber, glowing steadily" which means "Not Used" if I am not mistaken.

Why doesn't it boot and take over when the "active" one is out ?

How can I access it and update its firmware? Will I have to use a serial terminal straight to it ?

Thanks!

No Events found!