Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

December 14th, 2017 04:00

Installing memory in PowerEdge T320

Hi,

I have a Dell PowerEdge T320 server with 8GB RAM, and acquired recently another 8GB, but the server is not accepting the new memory. I've tried connecting it in different slot combinations, with no success. Any suggestions?

The original memory is a Kingston KTD-PE316S8/4G (Reg.ECC, DDR3, 1066MHz, 1Rx8). The new memory is a Transcend TS512MKR72V6NL (Reg.ECC, DDR3, 1600MHz, 2Rx8)

If I only install the old memory or only the new one, they work fine, indicating 8GB, so they are all working. If I put them all together, the BIOS indicates a write error on the higher numbered channels, and recognizes only 8GB. Could someone help me understand what is happening?

Thanks,

Roberto

• 

6.2K Posts

December 14th, 2017 09:00

Hello

I don't show that either of those modules have been validated to work in the T320. I looked at the specifications and I don't see anything that would stop them from working, but when you use unsupported hardware/software functionality will be trial and error.

When mixing memory all of the modules in slots 1-3 should be the same, likewise with 4-6. Also, larger rank should be populated first, larger modules should be populated before smaller modules. If you have two of each type of memory it should be populated:

1,2 Transcend
4,5 Kingston

Thanks

3 Posts

December 15th, 2017 05:00

I've tried that, and the bios complained with those messages:
"DDR3 Training Failure - FPT - Write Leveling DIMM A2"
"DDR3 Training Failure - FPT - Write Leveling DIMM A5"

Detail: Slot 2 had a Transcend memory, 5 had a Kingston. So, I tried to leave only one of each in the server, a Transcend in slot A1 and Kingston in slot A2, and the BIOS accepted it without any errors, so those memories DO work together.
I inserted the memories again, with the same error.

I then tried inserting them in slots A3 and A6, and this time I got the following message:
"DDR3 Training Failure - FPT - Write DqDqs DIMM A3"

Still recognizing only 8GB, but this time only one of the slots complained.

Any ideas?

Tks,

Roberto

3 Posts

December 18th, 2017 08:00

As a follow up, I've updated the server firmware (I know, I should have done that first of all) using the latest update ISO, but still got the same error. So, the latest firmware did not change anything.

Has anyone an idea of what I should try? Could it be a defective MB?

Tks,

Roberto

No Events found!