June 1st, 2012 03:00

Intel 10Gb X520 link on only one port on R710

Hi,
I have the following setup
X520 DA2 10GbE Dual Port SFP+ Server Adapter, Optical
R710
Cisco SFP+ direct attach cable
Dell 8024F

When the server boots up I get link on both ports on the X520 adapter. When the os (Windows 2008 R2 core Hyper-V) starts the link on the lowest port goes down. This is at the same time the Qlogic FC adapters gets connected to the FC SAN.
Windows device manager reports "This device is working properly" on one of the ports and on the other port it says "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)"

Intel driver version is 2.9.71.0 on the working port.
If I swap the cables between the ports the link is still up on the same port -> no problem on switch/cable side.
I swapped the X520 to another one adapter and the same problem came back -> no problem with the adapter.

I installed the firmware from Dell site for X520 and that did not help

I have the same setup on two ESXi 4.1 servers working with no issues.

So what can make one port work and not the other one ? Dell support do not have any useful ideas, not yet at least.

/Johan

2 Posts

June 4th, 2012 00:00

Hi,

I found a solution to my problem. After updating the Intel driver I lost more nics in the OS. In my quad port InterlNic only one port was working. I spent several hours trying different drivers both for Intel and Broadcom. The Bcom nics had the same problem.

Finally I found this support.microsoft.com/.../2460786

Disabling ipv6, using devcon.exe to remove the network devices and the reboot. After this I had 10 working nics in my server.

Thanks for the suggestion for troubleshoot the problem. I like the idea of connecting two ports to each other. I have not seen that config before.

/Johan

• 

6.2K Posts

June 1st, 2012 13:00

Hello Johan

Based on the information provided and troubleshooting you have performed I would say that it is either a driver issue or some type of odd configuration conflict. It appears that you are using the windows default driver for the NIC. I would recommend that you uninstall that driver and install the driver from our website. The version you have is 2.9 and the latest version I show available is 2.5. 

Here is a download link for the driver:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/555/DriverDetails?DriverId=FTMYK&FileId=2731103018&DriverName=Intel%20Intel%20PCI-E%2010Gig%20and%201Gig%20Family%20of%20Server%20Adapters%2C%20v.12.5.5%2C%20A04&productCode=poweredge-r710&urlProductCode=False

If that does not resolve the issue let us know.

Thanks

93 Posts

June 2nd, 2012 16:00

if you want to verify if it is indeed a driver issue or a hardware issue, download the OpenManage Server Administrator Live DVD, linux.dell.com/.../OMSA65-CentOS6-x86_64-LiveDVD.iso, and burn it to a disc and boot to it.  it is a CentOS live environment and it should load the drivers for that adapter and you can then see if it has the same issue.  if it does, then it may be a bad adapter.  if it works fine, then it's a driver issue or something else going on.

You can also try this, connect the two ports to each other and this will eliminate any switch issue.

No Events found!