Highlighted
Arron5567
1 Nickel

Internal Hard Drive inside Dell PowerEdge R710

Jump to solution

Okay so to clarify before anything. This server is NOT being used in a business environment. Its literally being used as a home Media Server (yes, way overkill I know but i got it for free so whos complaining).

Im currently using a PowerEdge 2950 as my home media server, I have just picked up its upgrade, a R710 Gen 2 and I would like to use all 6 bays at the front for hard drives that I can put media onto rather than 1 for the os and then all the rest for media.

How would I go about installing an internal hard drive, preferably an SSD, inside the R710. I know it has a spare SATA Data port but I cant seem to see any spare power cables or molex cables like there is in the 2950 Gen 3 that I have.

If it is not possible, thats totally fine but I would like to have installed an internal drive.

I know there is a USB port but I am using Windows Server 2012 R2 (Probably soon to be Server 2016) but i am unsure if Windows Server can be installed to the internal USB.

If you need specs, or the service tag i can give you that information!

Any Help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Arron

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

RE: Internal Hard Drive inside Dell PowerEdge R710

Jump to solution

Thanks for the clarification. It is something that you can try but it is not supported and there is no guarantee that the SSD will be detected and that it will work fine. Try this cable of P/N GP700

Robert Alakara

Dell EMC | Enterprise Services

0 Kudos
7 Replies

Jump to solution

Hello.

How would I go about installing an internal hard drive, preferably an SSD, inside the R710. I know it has a spare SATA Data port but I cant seem to see any spare power cables or molex cables like there is in the 2950 Gen 3 that I have.

I am not quite sure whether I have got you well. The server comes with a backplane and the hard drives are hot swap. They are installed into the drive bays using either 2.5" or 3.5" carriers depending on the backplane configuration. To use SSD, you require either PERC 6/i or H700 controller.

Robert Alakara

0 Kudos
Arron5567
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

What I was trying to ask (terrible explanation by me lol) was is there a way to put an SSD inside the server as in under the chassis cover and leave the front 6 drive bays (3.5inch HDD Model) for 4TB WD Red drives for media.

The server has a H700 so no worries about drive compatibility. I just wondered if there was a way to have (technically 7 hard drives). 1 SSD inside under the chassis cover and the 6 hotswap in the front as this would then allow me to have 6 4TB WD Red in Raid 5.

Apologies for the awful explanation lol.

Thanks,

Arron

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Thanks for the clarification. It is something that you can try but it is not supported and there is no guarantee that the SSD will be detected and that it will work fine. Try this cable of P/N GP700

Robert Alakara

0 Kudos
Arron5567
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Thank you for that!

I will try and get my hands on one and try it out!

Thanks,

Arron

0 Kudos

Jump to solution

Keep us in the loop and let us know how it does.

Robert Alakara

0 Kudos
ShortChop
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Where can the GP700 be purchased?

TIA

0 Kudos
LemurTech
1 Copper

Jump to solution

How did this work out for you? We're facing a similar need. Please take a moment to let us know.

0 Kudos