Highlighted
SimplePartZach
1 Copper

Issues with Poweredge R810 and NUMA nodes.

Jump to solution

We have two R810's in our Disaster Relief center for backup SQL nodes in case our office goes down. Both have 4x Xeon E7-4830's and 64GB of DDR3. One server (lets refer to it as Server A) has Node Interleaving enabled in BIOS and shows 4 NUMA nodes. Server B also has Node Interleaving enabled in BIOS, but through Powershell, the machine shows a single NUMA node and the graph mode in Task Manager shows the 'NUMA Nodes' as greyed out. Server B only allows SQL to use up to 50% of the CPU, while A can get to 100%. Any advice would be very helpful.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

RE: Issues with Poweredge R810 and NUMA nodes.

Jump to solution

Hello

If you are wanting NUMA enabled then you should disable node interleaving. I would make sure that you are checking the information from within the OS in the same location. If you are using different applications within the OS to check information it may give different information.

Server B only allows SQL to use up to 50% of the CPU, while A can get to 100%

I would suggest checking the CPU settings between the two, check to see if there are any differences. Also, within the OS check to see if one server is multi-threading the tasks and one is not.

You can read more on the BIOS memory options on page 63 of the manual:

www.dell.com/support/home/product-support/product/poweredge-r810/

Thanks

Daniel Mysinger
Dell EMC, Enterprise Engineer

0 Kudos
1 Reply

RE: Issues with Poweredge R810 and NUMA nodes.

Jump to solution

Hello

If you are wanting NUMA enabled then you should disable node interleaving. I would make sure that you are checking the information from within the OS in the same location. If you are using different applications within the OS to check information it may give different information.

Server B only allows SQL to use up to 50% of the CPU, while A can get to 100%

I would suggest checking the CPU settings between the two, check to see if there are any differences. Also, within the OS check to see if one server is multi-threading the tasks and one is not.

You can read more on the BIOS memory options on page 63 of the manual:

www.dell.com/support/home/product-support/product/poweredge-r810/

Thanks

Daniel Mysinger
Dell EMC, Enterprise Engineer

0 Kudos