Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

6 Posts

August 6th, 2018 08:00

Lifecycle controller firmware update iDRAC fails

dell1.JPGDell2.JPG

PE T420, booted to life cycle controller, auto connected to Ftp.dell.com , detected needed firmware updates.  Completed UEFI Diag Update, Driver Pack Update, OS Collector Update and NIC Update, iDRAC ran for 42.52 minutes locked up the server, "One or more tasks failed, Review the Lifecycle log in USC or iDRAC for more information", had to power off to restart and now I get iDRAC initialization error, F1 prompt and fans running high. Did a BIOS update prior to the above with no issues. I did everything using Dell life cycle controller so it was done with Dell tools not me.  What am I supposed to do now.. server is out of warranty .. 

• 

8.4K Posts

August 7th, 2018 06:00

Marc644D,

The first step is to drain the system flea power by disconnecting the power cables and then pressing and holding down the power button for about 15 sec. You can then clear the NVRAM by moving the jumper, found here

aaaaaa.jpg

over and adding power. Once the NVRAM is cleared the power back down and restore the jumper. If the system boots, go ahead and update the iDRAC as were trying before. If this update fails, then you will have to update the Lifecycle Controller (LCC) or run the the LCC repair package if needed.

Hope this helps. 

6 Posts

August 7th, 2018 11:00

Thank you Chris,

I will give that a try. This is one of my IT clients so I will have to go to their office after hours. I am keeping my fingers crossed. 

6 Posts

August 10th, 2018 07:00

You mentioned LCC repair package, I found the appropriate Dell LifeCycle Repair Package. It is a file ending with usc - Unified Server Configurator. How do I apply it if I do not have access to F10, no access to the iDRAC Web interface and when I press F2 to access IDRAC settings it says iDRAC not available. The Dell white paper on Livecycle Controller update uses one of those three options to update. if iDRAC does not initialize it wont be available. Is there a command line tool or something that is used to set this up?

6 Posts

August 11th, 2018 09:00

Well it did not work, I first held the power button down while power removed. Moved the jumper on the right side from the two top pins to the two bottom pins. I applied power for approximately 30 seconds, powered off using power button, moved jumper back to the first two pins where it was originally. Turned server back on and waiting, it failed on iDRAC initializing... restarted to high speed fans.. went back to iDRAC initializing... reduced the fan speed to medium and then continued to the iDRAC warning where I have to press F1.  Wish I could disable the F1 option, I tried to disable F1 prompts on the BIOS settings but apparently that does not apply to iDRAC, go figure. My Client's only complaint is the server fans are noisy. So anything to do with iDRAC requires LifeCycle access, iDRAC web page, or Open Manage Essentials to do any kind of update. There must be a way to Flash the iDRAC chip ? iDRAC is not broken it just failed during an update using DELL Update tools. 

• 

8.5K Posts

August 13th, 2018 13:00

No Events found!