Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 29th, 2014 05:00

M1000 and blade network connectivity

Hi,

Sorry for such a basic question but I have been left to setup a M1000e, PS5000e and 8 M610s, with only basic knowledge of our previous PowerEdge servers.

I've worked out the majority, but I now need to assign a second NIC to the blades so they can be used as part of our phone system - but I cant figure out the actual hardware required.

The M1000e currently only has the dell 16 port pass-through module. Is it possible to just buy a second one of these to give the blades 2 NICs each, or do I need to buy a powerconnect switch? And any suggestions which switch if I do?

Thank you in advance!

Chris

• 

6.2K Posts

November 29th, 2014 14:00

Hello Chris

Fabric A connects to the LAN on Motherboard, so the pass-through module is only used for the LOMs. If you need a second NIC then you will need a NIC installed in the blade and a switching module/pass-through of some kind in either fabric B or C.

There should be a diagram on the M610 somewhere that will tell you what the slots are for. There is a mezzanine slot for Fabric B and another for Fabric C. You can add a card to either, but you also need an interconnect of some kind in the corresponding fabric slot in the chassis.

Thanks

No Events found!