Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

2 Posts

April 1st, 2019 12:00

M620 with JVFVR (57810S-K) in 1.0 midplane chassis

Hey there,

I'm planning on buying a M620 blade that has a Broadcom 57810S-K series NDC that supports 10 Gbit.

Can this blade work in a 1.0 midplane chassis with either 3130X or 3130G in slot A of the networking fabric? I am hoping that the NDC will set the link speed to 1 Gbit and thus will work.

What I am worried about is that the 1.0 midplane only supports the older XAUI based standard in the A fabric and that this NDC only supports the newer K/R based standard and thus that there is simply no possible compatibility between the two standards?

Also is there a difference between a NDC (A fabric) and the mezzanine cards (B and C). Can a NDC NIC be used as B/C fabric card or are these completely different beats all together? I was hoping that it would be possible to install the M620 NDC as a B fabric mezzanine card and then install a 10 Gbit switch in the B fabric slot.

• 

6.2K Posts

April 1st, 2019 14:00

Hello

If everything is capable of operating at 1Gb then it may work. We do not support mixing of XAUI and KR, so if you mixed them and encountered issues warranty support would be best effort. If you encounter issues then I suggest manually setting link speed to 1Gb on the interfaces and devices. That may help to avoid issues related to link speed negotiation.

Thanks

2 Posts

April 2nd, 2019 00:00

Hey Daniel,

Thank you for your quick reply.

So you're saying the XAUI and K/R thing is only a problem at 10Gb+ speeds?

Also do you know the answer to my second question?

• 

6.2K Posts

April 2nd, 2019 08:00

@Marlinc wrote:

So you're saying the XAUI and K/R thing is only a problem at 10Gb+ speeds?

Yes.

I'm fairly certain the NDC is only routed on the A fabric. You should be able to verify in the documentation on the chassis support page.

http://www.dell.com/support/

Thanks

No Events found!