Highlighted
CMCDUK
1 Copper

Match VMware HCL Firmware?

Hi guys.

Id appreciate a bit of help/ guidance.

I have to update a bunch of hosts to the latest Dell ESXi image (A04).

Which means I will want to double check my firmware of all my boxes.
What I cant seem to figure out is how to get the hosts to use the recommended firmware from the VMware HCL.

The Dell repo, for example, is ahead for some devices i.e.
QLogic NetXtreme II – has FW 08.07.25, but the VMware HCL is still on version 7.12.x 

HPE, despite their sins, have a great resource to help you match these up (vibsdepot.hpe.com)

Even creating your own custom ISO using the repo manager seems to be a pain to pick older versions.

So my question is, is there a way of making a repeatable FW update to multiple hosts so the firmware matches the HCL. Or is there a recommended repo for firmware that dell has tested with their OEM version of ESXi that may be different than VMwares but is supported?

With the buy out I was hoping this sort of thing would have gotten easier. Hopefully I am missing something?

0 Kudos
2 Replies

RE: Match VMware HCL Firmware?

Hi,

There is not anything currently that matches the firmware to the HCL. Typically mismatches just mean that the newer firmware hasn’t been tested for validation yet for the newer version or that the newer firmware is for a later version of ESXi, maybe a change in 6.5 that isn’t needed on 6.0 or 5.5. What version of ESXi are you using?

Thanks,
Josh Craig
Dell EMC Enterprise Support Services
Get support on Twitter @DellCaresPRO
0 Kudos
CMCDUK
1 Copper

RE: Match VMware HCL Firmware?

Hi there thanks for the response.

I am using the Dell image A03 at the moment. Looking at A04 shortly.

"There is not anything currently that matches the firmware to the HCL". In my experience most VMware issues are caused by driver/ firmware issues of generally known errors.

If Dell could produce a baseline with the recommended FW they use themselves/ recommend for their custom ISO disk it would make the world a much happier place. I promise 🙂

0 Kudos