Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 12th, 2016 10:00

Memory Upgrade Poweredge R710 2 x 4GB 1 x 8GB per cpu?

Hello, I'm trying to upgrade the Ram in a Poweredge R710 server.

It currently has 6 x 4GB sticks (3 sticks for each CPU, located in slots A1,2,3 and B1, 2, 3.

I need to upgrade this to 32GB of RAM to match another servers configuration. My original plan was to remove the 4GB sticks in slots A1 and B1, and replace them with 8GB sticks. 

I did this, and the system boots, but it gives a message about invalid memory configuration. if I press F1, it still boots in to ESXi off the USB stick, and seems to work just fine. But I'd like to get rid of the error message on startup.

Do I have the sticks in the wrong slots for this configuration? I read and re-read the hardware manual, but im a little confused. it states:

"Memory modules of different sizes can be mixed within a memory channel (for example, 2-GB, 8-GB, and 4-GB), but all populated channels must have identical configurations"

So based on that, it seems like this should work, but i'm unsure if I'm missing something. Any suggestions? 

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 12th, 2016 15:00

Hello.

Refer to the diagrammatic illustration below:

The memory configuration is invalid because memory modules of different sizes are  mixed on different memory channels and not within a memory channel; hence the memory size on slots A1, A2, A3 & B1, B2, B3 have to match. In order to upgrade your memory to 32 GB and maintain the same memory mode, you will need 4x8GB memory modules. These will be installed either on slots A1, A4 & B1, B4 or A1, A2 & B1, B2.

3 Posts

January 12th, 2016 16:00

Thanks for the reply.

So if im getting you correctly, you can have different capacity modules in each channel, but only if every other channel has an identical configuration? (I.E. if I have an 8GB in ch1. I need an 8GB in ch. 2 and ch.3. on each cpu?)

So it sounds like my only option is to  get 2 more 8GB sticks.

The system currently boots without issue besides a warning on POST. It sees all the ram. what issues will i experience if I run the server in this state?

3 Posts

January 13th, 2016 07:00

The warning was that the Memory configuration was unbalanced. I was able to disable this warning from popping up on bootup, so it now boots right to ESXI. I'm just worried about any effects this may cause that I'm not thinking of.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 13th, 2016 07:00

That is correct. The channels should have identical configuration. What warning are you getting? Ensure that your iDRAC firmware and BIOS up to date.

No Events found!