Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 25th, 2016 04:00

Messed up R430 virtual disks

Hi Dell Community, first post here...

I recently performed a hardware upgrade on an R430 (on two 1TB HDD in RAID1 on PERC H730 mini, running Hyper-V server 2012). I powered off the server and installed  the new hardwares (2nd CPU, network card, 16GB RAM x 3, two 2TB HDD). I booted up lifecycle controller and found everything okay. As I wanted to achieve a 1TB RAID 1 array and a 2TB RAID 1 array, I created a new virtual disk, selected only the two 2TB HDDs, and then everything messed up. Seems that the configs on the 1TB HDDs is gone. I then removed the new 2TB HDDs, boot up into system settings, and found no virtual disks but 2 physical 1TB HDDs in Ready state.

Well then I went through some posts and found no solutions for this mess... So, what should I do to solve this?

Johnny

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 25th, 2016 10:00

Hello.

Try booting into the controller BIOS using Ctrl+R utility during POST and see what options are available under foreign configuration. You may as well use OpenManage Server Administrator to view Virtual Disks and Available Tasks. 

5 Posts

November 27th, 2016 18:00

Dear Robert:

My R430 don't have that old-style POST message and can't make it into the CTRL+R menu no matter how many times I tap CTRL-R before it ran into boot failure! :(
The old disks are marked as "Ready" state in System Setting->Device Setting->PERC -> Physical Disks. No words "foreign" can be seen there.

So... for other R430 servers I'm going to upgrade, and for this server (if I managed to get it working again), the correct way to config the new HDDs would be via OpenManage, right...?

Johnny

5 Posts

November 28th, 2016 00:00

*cough**cough* A little bit update...

I have managed to somehow recreate the existing config by creating a new RAID 1 Virtual Disk without initialization,  and adding a boot option using bootmgfw.efi makes it successfully booted to the original Windows Hyper-V server.

So...at least the problems on the old HDDs are okay. Somehow.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

November 28th, 2016 07:00

Great!  Keep us posted on any further issues.

5 Posts

November 30th, 2016 21:00

Now that server's status is okay after running for a few days. I think I am clear to get the new 2TB HDDs working. 

Still, I have no idea how the [profanity removed] did I messed up the disks before (in LifeCycle Controller? or System Settings? I've forgot that), and I am worrying I would mess it up again.

To recap, the server has a 1TB RAID1 virtual disk with Hyper-V Server 2012, and  I planned to config a new 2TB RAID1 virtual disk via iDRAC. (OpenManage is not installed and iDRAC seems to be capable to me)

So...I think this can be done by just inserting the disks hot and then create a new virtual disk, but of course I don't want to mess up the old disks. Is this doable? Did I missed something?

No Events found!