Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 9th, 2015 21:00

Multibit ECC errors were detected on the RAID controller. If you continue, data corruption can occur. Contact technical support to resolve this issue. Press 'X' to continue or else power off the system, replace the controller and reboot

Hi,

I have one  PE-R620 server, Morning server was stuck in post with "Multibit ECC errors were detected on the RAID controller. If you continue, data corruption can occur. Contact technical support to resolve this issue. Press 'X' to continue or else power off the system, replace the controller and reboot".then i was pressed x key now server is working properly.No any hardware error found in Dset Report

server is in  cluster with 5 same configuration Hp server and 1 same model PE-R620 server.

Pls suggest next step for this issue. if need to update firmware then it possible to update only that server firmware it is safe for cluster or any else.

Regards

G

• 

8.4K Posts

November 10th, 2015 07:00

Ganeshshedge4,

Normally with the Multibit ECC error being detected it will cause the controller to halt processing, any drives or enclosures will not be visible. Normally with this issue you need to replace the controller. You can try to update the servers BIOS, iDrac, as well as the controller, to see if this is simply a false error caused by it being out of date. Normally though the issue will be within the controller itself.

Let me know how it goes.

6 Posts

November 16th, 2015 02:00

i had the same error recently in dell power edge R320 server with perc h710 min controller. but after doing raid 5 configurations, now it work fine. i did not update BIOS or any other firmware.

but i need to conform that error will not happen again.  

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

November 16th, 2015 16:00

Changing the RAID configuration will not fix this. Update your system firmware, then test the memory.

2 Posts

March 13th, 2017 01:00

"x" worked for me too :)

48 Posts

March 19th, 2017 01:00

I would recommend running a Dell Diagnostic check to confirm if the raid controller is indeed operating fine.

2 Posts

November 9th, 2018 01:00

(Tested on different dell servers several time in different organizations) 1. Press X 2. Take backup. 3. Initiate graceful shutdown. 4. Start machine. You are done

3 Posts

April 23rd, 2019 23:00

How to do steps 2 and 3? 

After pressing X it is coming back to first step. What is supposed to happen after pressing X?

3 Posts

April 23rd, 2019 23:00

What happened after you press X?

2.9K Posts

April 24th, 2019 06:00

You would want to create a backup using any external storage of sufficient size. There are a lot of options, ranging from a bare metal backup, to data only backup. You'd probably be best served looking at what you want from a backup software, and choose from the options that provide needed features. 

After proceeding through the error message, the system should begin to boot. What this is telling us is that the cache is corrupt. I would set the controller to write-through mode, so the cache isn't used, and this would prevent any bad addresses from being written to.

1 Rookie

• 

1 Message

April 3rd, 2024 08:40

Facing the same issue with R740 poweredge. Any solution?

• 

3.2K Posts

April 3rd, 2024 13:32

Hi,

could you provide more details and which steps you tried from this 9 year old thread please ? 

No Events found!