Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 9th, 2012 13:00

Need PERC 5/i Integrated A09 5.2.2-0072 firmware on a PE 2950 but Dell downloads says file not found.

Hi all,

Need to update PERC 5/i Integrated to A09 5.2.2-0072 firmware on a PE2950 and I need the Windows version but Dell downloads say File Not Found.

Anyone got a copy they can send me? The file is called

SAS-RAID_Firmware_2RPK0_WN32_5.2.2-0072_A09.EXE

I tried to do it using the DOS version, but I can't get it to boot off a Virtual Media USB Key on my local machine.

It just says "Remove Disks or other Media,

Press any key to restart"

Really annoying me, can't get it to boot to DOS from a remote usb key. Any hints? If nobody has the file I need?

Many thanks!

W

• 

8.4K Posts

May 9th, 2012 15:00

Sorry Will,

Give this one a shot

ftp.dell.com/.../RAID_FRMW_WIN_R189337.EXE

Let me know.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

May 9th, 2012 17:00

No, it's fine ... I was just wondering if you were updating it because of a problem you were having or for general/proactive maintenance.  

Server firmware update, unlike many desktop/laptop updates, are recommended as "preventative maintenance" against potential bugs and other issues, so it is good to keep it up to date.  In your situation, I would have only offered this advice:

Update the BIOS first, as everything else usually depends on its support.  Update the ESM/BMC second, as it works together with the BIOS to monitor and manage all system hardware.  If there is a backplane update, it should be done after BMC and before the PERC.  Update the RAID drivers before the firmware to prevent new features/code on the controller that the old driver doesn't know what to do with - can cause systems not to boot, lose configs, or data loss in extremely rare cases.  HDD firmware should then be updated for proper operation with the new PERC controller firmware.  Other firmware can then be updated, including the NIC and DRAC (if present) on this system.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

May 10th, 2012 08:00

I am able to download OMSA 7.0 just fine from the D&D page:

www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

But if you are having problems, you can get it here:

http://ftp.dell.com/FOLDER00333144M/1/OM-SrvAdmin-Dell-Web-WIN-7.0.0-4741_A00.exe

Agreed that they have significantly screwed up their FTP site - we are trying to convince them to change it, but it would appear as if they have committed to this new scheme - for now.

• 

8.4K Posts

May 9th, 2012 14:00

Will,

You can get the Perc 5/i firmware update from the ftp with this link - ftp.dell.com/.../BR189337.exe

Let me know how it goes.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

May I ask what is prompting you to update your PERC firmware?

24 Posts

Hi Chris.

Thanks, but that's the file to create 2 floppies. I have a USB floppy around somewhere, but no floppies to use in it.

Could you post me a link to the one that runs under Windows? Or can I update it from within BIOS? Or the PERC config page during POST?

Thanks,

W

24 Posts

May 9th, 2012 16:00

The Dell OpenManage Admin console recommends it and I figure it hasn't been updated ever.

Why? Is it not something I should leap to do?

I was actually in the process of updating all firmware all the over the server - backplane, DRAC, NICs.

Got any conflicting advice?

Thanks, Chris H. will give it a go tomorrow. It's past midnight in Barcelona :-)

cheers

Will

24 Posts

May 9th, 2012 17:00

Chris, it worked perfectly.

Thanks. Couldn't resist doing it now.

W

24 Posts

May 10th, 2012 02:00

Thanks for the info, very useful to know. I did in fact just flash the PERC as soon as I got the update; it seems to be ok but good to know there's a procedure, and of course BIOS is logical....

I'm feeling my way round the server, am impressed by the DRAC5 and its abilities.

I'm trying to download the OpenManage Systems Admin software, but Dell seems to have a major glitch with their download servers this week. The Linux versions are fine, but if you look for the Windows download, you get We're sorry...

"Details for this driver are currently unavailable. Please try again later."

Anyone got the actual FTP link?

Dell FTP site is open & working, but its contents are....challenging, at least to find what you want, unless you know what the folder numbers mean.

Thanks.

W

24 Posts

May 16th, 2012 04:00

Thanks all.

No Events found!