Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Closed

October 12th, 2010 20:00

New power Edge T710 with Redundant 1100 Power Supply's - Fans wind up and down (no load in very cool room) - alternating between PS'

What gives?

Dell support says this is by design to prolong fan life.  This unit will drive the users in the environment nuts. 

This with no load ( sitting in the BIOS) and in a 68 degree F room.

Anyone have an idea if thsi is really how the system should be?

Sounds like a plane on the tarmack: Winds up then down up and down.

What are the odds of returning the unit to Dell? It was delivered by fed-ex on Friday 8-OCT-2010. 

77 Posts

October 20th, 2010 12:00

you have 30 days-ish for a return ( I think)... As far as the fans have you tried updating the firmware, just because it is new does not mean it has all current FW. After that try to see if it is one fan or all fans...

October 20th, 2010 13:00

There was a bios and iDRAC update.  Still the Emerson Power Supply's run up and alternate.  It is how they work.

I bet others will have acoustic environment issues with this..

November 26th, 2013 12:00

This issue has actually been seen on the Emerson power supplies for the T710, part numbers 1Y45R and 3MJJP.

There are firmware updates available to resolve the fan issue that can be found depending on the part number of your Emerson power supply.

1Y45R Firmware Update:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails/Product/poweredge-t710?driverId=N3WRV&osCode=WS8R2&fileId=3182750175&languageCode=en&categoryId=PS

3MJJP Firmware Update:

http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails/Product/poweredge-t710?driverId=YRWVK&osCode=WS8R2&fileId=3080210147&languageCode=en&categoryId=PS

1 Message

September 27th, 2023 19:08

I know this post is years old, but I have the same problem and I even have it in a climate controlled room, 65F but, it turns out that servers are not really designed to be used within a working environment, and that's why a lot of server rooms are acoustically sealed.

When I used to work for a networking company sometime a go, I was asked to replace a company's servers with Poweredge T710's, and I noticed even those servers being replaced sounded like multiple jet engines in an enclosed hanger, I had to wear ear protection, and when I had finally installed all the 710's, and powered them on, I still had to wear ear protection.

This brings me to the point on why in the heck do server manufacturers insist building servers that might just as well be put in a steel room, buried inside 20' thick rock?

I have a 710 for a NAS for my small business but it's so damn loud I'm thinking of dumping it, (literally putting it under a sledge hammer), and using a custom built PC as a NAS, desktop PC's are a lot quieter, and can be put in it's own little box on the wall, with just an extraction fan, to remove the heat, and a front facing fan to blow in cooler air.  My workstation is an HP, and it's so quiet that sometimes I have to have a look at the back to back sure the fan is still working, and thus I installed 'Core Temp',  so that I can see if the temp gets to high, as I can't hear any of the fans, even though I know the fans do work.

(edited)

No Events found!