Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 25th, 2012 12:00

No sound on Poweredge 860?

I have a poweredge 860. I want the windows sounds to work. I cant see any drivers or anything for sound for this computer. Am I wrong can it provide some basic sound.  I dont want to play music I actually want to set up some programs so that they can give a warning sound if something goes wrong. eg hard disk failure.  Where are the sound drivers?

thanks.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 25th, 2012 12:00

Well, this is not a computer ... it is a server, and most servers do not have any need for sound, so they are not even equipped with onboard sound.  If you want sound, you will need to try to find a sound card that will work in this server, however, Dell does not certify/test sound cards in their servers, so you'll be on your own to find one that works.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 26th, 2012 05:00

The 860 is capable of beeps (it is equipped to emit a beep code to correlate with several types of hardware errors - no memory, unsupported processor, etc.), but is not a traditional audio output that can output system sounds or is configurable at all.

35 Posts

January 26th, 2012 05:00

. I have had other servers with sound, but I guess they dont provide it with these. It seems odd really. All I want is the basic functionallity of a beep. Anyway cant fight it. Just have to accept it.

Thank you.

1.2K Posts

January 26th, 2012 12:00

You could try one of these www.ebay.co.uk/.../230578483064

It won't break the bank, also windows server does contain microsoft sound drivers but these are disabled by default, so you'd need to enable them.

No Events found!