Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

November 20th, 2004 23:00

Norton Ghost 9.0 and USB DVD on Poweredge servers?

I've been trying to use Norton Ghost 9.0 with a Sony USB DVD burner on Poweredge 1650/2650/2850 servers without success. Ghost does not see the drive. I use the same drive on Precision 360/450/650 workstations by disabling legacy USB support in BIOS, but there is no such option in the Poweredges. Can anyone tell me how I can get the drive to work with the poweredges?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2 Posts

May 11th, 2005 12:00

I want to make an image of my Dell Poweredge 4600 server. It is configured with a RAID-5. Did you have success at doing images of Raid configured Servers ? At least once ?

It is my intend to maintain a copy of my server for disaster recovery, but  I am not sure about its possibility.

Does anybody have success ?

Any help or Tip, is welcome.

Thanks.

7 Posts

May 11th, 2005 13:00

I was able to Ghost to a mapped drive, but never got the servers to recognize the USB DVD burner.

2 Posts

May 11th, 2005 16:00

I think that the USB drive is not supposed to be recognized by systems anyway, when using DOS, because there is not a USB driver for DOS. I believe that USB devices never are recognized by any system under DOS. When you are trying to use GHOST, I believe that you are using DOS system, is it ok ?

Because the Poweredge 4600 does not have any IDE controller, I am studying about buying a IDE controller(Adaptec ASH-1233) to install in my Poweredge 4600 server to make possible the GHOST imaging with a DVD-RW. I am affraid about how does GHOST manage the SCSI RAID-5 ARRAY partitions. Does it manage their ok ? 

If I am sucessfull, I am going to tell you.

Excuse by English mistakes. I am a Brazilian.

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

June 18th, 2005 23:00

There are DOS usb drivers but they are not widely supported even by GHOST so its hit or miss.

I use the Iomega drivers and they seem to work for CDRW but not DVDRW.

http://www.stefan2000.com/darkehorse/PC/DOS/Drivers/USB/

No Events found!