Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 1st, 2010 05:00

PE 2800 - Would not POST test after change of Mother board

Hi all,

I had problems with a PE 2800 in the Dimms slot and so i got a new motherboard, and now i have installed all the hardware back into the new board, when i turn the server on, i don't hear the loud post test (loud fan running noise) these severs normally make, it only gives a small sound.

What is wrong in it. ?

And other thing i read E0780 in the LCD on the server, whihc means the processor is not installed, but i have installed both the processors carefully.

Any one can shed some light on these, i am stuggling for the past 1 week with this server.

Many THanks

23 Posts

March 1st, 2010 07:00

Thanks Dev Mgr,

I tried and still the same problem. How do i fix the newer board with issues you mentioned about Bios. Any idea.

Dell moderator,

Can  you help me or point me in the right direction.

9.3K Posts

March 1st, 2010 07:00

Try 1 processor and 1 dimm and remove all PCI/PCI-X/PCIe cards from the system. Your first goal is to get the system to POST. If you get that, you're getting somewhere.

Is the board you put in the same partnumber as the original board? Dell regularly does motherboard updates within a single system model to allow the newer boards to accept newer processors. If you had a newer board and put in an older version of the board (or a board with an older bios), it may not recognize the processor.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 1st, 2010 08:00

As Dev Mgr mentioned, there may be an incompatibility with the board.  The 2800 went through several mobo revisions, some of which were not compatible with certain versions of the PCI Riser.  So, the version matchups become important.  What was the old mobo replaced for?

Also, when you removed/reinstalled the processors, was the processor attached to the bottom of the heatsink?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

March 11th, 2010 07:00

Well, the processor should NOT be attached to the heatsink - it is impossible to properly seat the processor in its slot if attached to the heatsink.  I fear now that pins on one or both of the procs have been bent, ruining the processor.  But, it may simply be a matter of not being totally seated, so separate the  processor from the heatsink - carefully - using something that will not scratch, like a credit card.  Make sure the pins are not bent, so it will go correctly into the slot.  If slightly bent, the credit card can also help straighten them - they break off easily!  Then seat the processor, making sure to use the lever on the slot.

Try both processors one at a time, in case one was damaged.  If it still doesn't work, then you likely need to replace the procs too.  At this point, it may be better to get a new server.

23 Posts

March 11th, 2010 07:00

Yes, the processor was attached to the heatsink.

I tried another new mobo and same results. Any thoughts or ideas. should i go to a newer server than trying to get this mobo replaced.

thanks

No Events found!