pstoric
2 Iron

PE 2900 stuck on Post

Came in today and noticed one of out old terminal servers didn't power back up after a power outage last night. I tried leaving it unplugged for a few minutes but still gets stuck at the exact same spot every time. Any ideas? Is it toast?

0 Kudos
8 Replies

RE: PE 2900 stuck on Post

Hello.

Attempt taking the system to minimum to POST configuration with the following components:

• System board
  • Processor (with heat-sink) in socket 1
  • One stick of memory in slot 1
  • 1 power supply
  • Power distribution board
  • Control panel (to turn on system

Ensure that all USB devices including mouse and keyboard are disconnected. If server is going to be on for certain length of time, place a fan in front of a processor in slot 1 to prevent overheating

Robert Alakara

Dell EMC | Enterprise Services

0 Kudos
pstoric
2 Iron

Thanks Robert, I'll try that next Thursday when I'm on site next.

0 Kudos

Keep us in the loop on your progress. Thank you!

Robert Alakara

0 Kudos
pstoric
2 Iron

Sorry for the delay, I haven't been at this location in a few weeks. I tried pulling the RAM sticks and leaving one in but no luck. In addition there is an amber error on the LCD "W1228 ROMB Batt" which I know means we need to replace the PERC controller battery which I'm familiar with but I don't know if replacing that at this point would fix that error. Any insight?

0 Kudos

Replace the battery and try minimum to POST conditions again. You may also attempt to restore the BIOS to default settings by clearing the NVRAM using jumpers on the system motherboard. If none of these do not resolve the issue, consider replacing the motherboard. 

Robert Alakara

0 Kudos
pstoric
2 Iron

Going to order the battery and replace it next Thursday.

0 Kudos
pstoric
2 Iron

I replaced the RAID battery this AM but same problem. I guess the board is toast.

0 Kudos
pstoric
2 Iron

Correction, it's back up! Maybe the new battery had to charge? 

0 Kudos