Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

R

October 27th, 2005 11:00

PE2800 Power Connectors

Just aquired the new server, and was intending to recyle some components from our old one, like a pair of SCSI 160 HDs and tape drive, together with an additional SCSI card.  But there is no power connectors for such spare devices?

I'm UK based if that makes any difference.

What can I do?

Thanks in Advance

Rob

9.3K Posts

October 27th, 2005 12:00

I'm not sure what you mean by 'power connector'. The PE2800 should have a backplane for SCA-80 drives, which receive their power via the single SCA-80 connection.

Are you maybe trying to add in 68-pin drives (that have a standard molex power connector next to the 68-pin connector)? If so, those drives won't work in this server.

9.3K Posts

October 27th, 2005 13:00

It is expandable... with SCA-80 drives. You can have up to 10 SCA-80 drives, or 8 SCA-80 drives and a tape drive.

The tape drive would go into the 2 5.25" bays (see here). 

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Upgrading to a tape drive after sales could possibly require some specific parts probably to fit in those bays, assuming you didn't get the 1x2 harddrive backplane in there (under system features on the link provided there's a line saying "Peripheral bay provides support for an optional half-height tape backup unit and two 1-inch SCSI hard drives or a full-height tape backup unit"). If you have the drive backplane in those bays (with harddrives in it), you cannot put in an internal tape drive.

Message Edited by Dev Mgr on 10-27-2005 09:20 AM

9 Posts

October 27th, 2005 13:00

Thank you, yes the PE2800 I've got does have a split backplane into which I have 5 Dell fitted SCSI SCA-80 HDs.

What I wanted to do was add some older components, from my now redundant PE1400.  That means fitting a Seagate Tape Drive, and a pair of older SCSI HDs.  Both the HDs and the Tape Drive have separate connectors for the power feed, as well as the connectors for the SCSI ribbon cable.  It's the power feed that is the issue.

Reading the User & Installation Guides I see there is a power connector that can be used for Tape Drives, on the SCSI backplane.  Can I use that?  Is it a standard connector, or do I need a specific one from Dell?

I can't beleive that Dell make a server, described as having "massive internal expandability" , and yet you cannot get power to components you want to add.

9 Posts

October 27th, 2005 14:00

Ok, I can see I can't use the old HDs.  Never mind.

The Tape drive though, if I can mount it, I still can't power it.  The tape drive relies on a standard 4 Pin Power connector.  But there is no such lead out of the power supply in the server.  Presumably I need an adaptor lead of some sort from the power outlet onthe SCSI backplane.  If so is this a Dell only component, or something generic I can aquire.

Thanks

10 Posts

October 28th, 2005 20:00

That is indeed the tricky part you need a kit which is only delivered with a new tapedrive. There a quite a bit of people that run into this I can tell you :o)
Have no solution for this unfortunatly.

9 Posts

October 31st, 2005 07:00

Hmm, so Dell make a server, which is expandable, but only with Dell supplied components, but don't provide any warnings that you are completely reliant and tied to their stuff.

That is absolutely pants.  At this rate the server might be getting sent back to Dell as "unfit for purpose".

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

October 31st, 2005 11:00

@rcullen wrote:
Hmm, so Dell make a server, which is expandable, but only with Dell supplied components, but don't provide any warnings that you are completely reliant and tied to their stuff.

That is absolutely pants.  At this rate the server might be getting sent back to Dell as "unfit for purpose".

Dell doesnt make their servers so that only dell drives fit.
That assesment is dead wrong. They use standard SCA 80 pin connectors for the backplane.

9 Posts

October 31st, 2005 12:00

Yes I can see that I can use Standard SCA80 connctor based Hard Disks.  What I can't see, and is backed up by the post above, is any ability to even add my own tape drive, as I would have to buy the entire tape drive and related kit from Dell.

Ultimately I didn't and shouldn't have needed to budget for a new complete tape drive, as my current one would have been adequate.

Compared to my PE1400, that had standard connectors, and mountings for everything, it seems that Dell have taken a very route in internal design, that seriously restricts the user's future ability to modify and expand.

3 Posts

November 2nd, 2005 19:00

I know it's probably not optimal; but most setups involving rackmount machines with tape drives are usually external autoloaders (which Dell in fact sells.) The lack of an internal molex header is somewhat troubling, however, because there are also PCI-X/PCIe cards that require external voltage.

Would it be too hard for Dell to just sell a cable to connect to one of the fan headers? I haven't broken out the multimeter yet, but something tells me the current on the 4 pins of the fan power connector is probably enough to power a device or two.

For you, though, the easiest solution might just be to mount the tape drive in an external box (you said you already had a SCSI card, it probably has an external slot.)

9 Posts

November 3rd, 2005 09:00

Yes thanks, I am now mounting externally, as I don't have any other option.  It is rather daft though, given there was space inside the Tower (not Rackmount).

A breakout from a fan wouldn't work.  Those all plug into connectors on the motherboard too, which all have temperature sensors.

I hadn't thought of a need for power to internal cards, Lets hope I never need to fit one :(

Do Dell's designers of their kit ever see these forums and pick up on issues such as these, so the same mistakes aren't made on future models?

9 Posts

November 22nd, 2005 07:00

Wohoo, finally found the answer.

The power connector is available as part of a TBU kit.

You do get load of other SCSI type cables and plastic clips to mount a tape drive.  I haven't seen any way of getting the basic power cable alone.

Anyway, now I can at least add my own legacy parts to the server.  It's just a shame that it took so much effort to find out what I did need. 

Message Edited by rcullen on 11-22-2005 03:49 AM

1 Message

November 29th, 2005 19:00

I am in the United States and have a similar issue with installing a LTO drive into a new 2800.  I am not able to locate the part on Dell's site based on the part number indicated in the link.  Any suggestions?

Thanks.

2 Posts

November 29th, 2005 19:00

I just ordered and received the power cable , Dell us part number G2526
  • Description:ASSY CBL PWR PBAY 2DROP PE2800
  • Comments:MediaBay Power Cable (Y-Cable)
cost 10.56

15 Posts

December 11th, 2007 10:00

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but I think I'm in the same position as the original poster with a PowerEdge 2900.  I'm trying to fit an internal VS160 drive but I can't find any free molex connectors.  I've spoken to Dell Support who've told me to buy a flex bay kit, but don't know the part number so I've passed this onto my account manager who has told me she can't help as the VS160 is end-of-life.  Does anyone know the part number I should be ordering or of any other supplier who can help?  If not. what are the chances of the 2800 TBU kit working in the 2900?

I'm in the UK if that makes a difference.
Andy.

Message Edited by AgileIT on 12-11-2007 12:26 PM
No Events found!