Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 19th, 2017 15:00

PE2900 PERC 5/i RAID-1 Drive Replacement

I have a PE2900 with a PERC 5/i controller.  On the controller are 6x disks, configured as 3x RAID-1 arrays.

One of the drives is showing a predicted fail.  (Flashing green/amber).

I'm 99.9% sure that the controller supports hot-swapping the drives, so is the job of fixing this as simple as pulling out the dodgy drive, unbolting it from the caddy, bolting on a new one, and inserting the new drive back into the chassis.

Will the PERC 5/i automatically rebuild the array as soon as it sees the new drive?  Or do I need to do anything?  (Consistency check the drive before pulling it?  Set the drive to Offline before I pull it?  Anything like that?)

Sorry for what must seem like a really basic question.  I just want to make sure that I don't do anything obviously wrong.  Thanks tons for any advice.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

June 19th, 2017 17:00

I'm 99.9% sure that the controller supports hot-swapping the drives, so is the job of fixing this as simple as pulling out the dodgy drive, unbolting it from the caddy, bolting on a new one, and inserting the new drive back into the chassis.

Yes, it is that easy.

Will the PERC 5/i automatically rebuild the array as soon as it sees the new drive?  Or do I need to do anything? 

Maybe. There are many things that can prevent an automatic rebuild, so if it doesn't automatically rebuild, then assign the new disk as a hot-spare to start the rebuild.

Set the drive to Offline before I pull it?

If the drive is already offline, then you don't need to do anything with it. If the drive is still online (including Predicted Failure), then you need to take it offline first.

No Events found!