Highlighted
guerojose
2 Bronze

PE2970 Firmware - No DVD, No USB

I'm trapped in a catch 22, so will try a plea here.

Older PE2970 with older BIOS and CDROM only.  Trying to install Windows  2012.  Can't install from DVD, can't get a Win2012 image on bootable CDROM; can't install from USB, because older BIOS doesn't provide the USB-boot options others have suggested; can't upgrade the BIOS because all of these tools like SBUU/SUU require DVD; can't use the OS-dependent firmware update tools, because system has no OS.

So, ok, just go back to Win2003 CDs to get an OS installed, from which I can run tools to update BIOS, after which I should be able to make the system USB-bootable, and thus install Win2012.  Problem is that the Win2003 CD won't install as it doesn't recognize the hard drives, whether I leave as a PERC RAID volume, or remove volume and have bare phyical disks only.

Am I missing something?  How can I get a CD-bootable, non-OS-dependent tool that will allow me to update the BIOS, so that I can then boot from USB and get an OS installed?

TIA

0 Kudos
3 Replies

RE: PE2970 Firmware - No DVD, No USB

Hello

Am I missing something?  How can I get a CD-bootable, non-OS-dependent tool that will allow me to update the BIOS, so that I can then boot from USB and get an OS installed?

Server 2003 does not have a native SAS driver. The driver must be added during setup to install to the drives. The easiest way to do it would be to download and boot to the SBUU:

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=NF1CT

It will install the necessary SAS driver for you during the setup process.

BIOS doesn't provide the USB-boot options others have suggested

Do you have another thread going on this issue?

Thanks

Daniel Mysinger
Dell EMC, Enterprise Engineer

0 Kudos
guerojose
2 Bronze

I appreciate the reply.  However, as I indicated, SBUU is not an option for CDROM-only systems:  "In order to use this file, you need a DVD-R or DVD-RW and appropriate software to create a DVD from the downloaded image."

There are many other threads and websites discussing how to make a bootable USB, then set the boot device order in the BIOS.  My central issue is that the older firmware I'm on does not offer the option to boot from USB.

0 Kudos
guerojose
2 Bronze

Insanity, but captured here for posterity is what finally worked:

1. Download Dell F6-USB utility, and the Perc5i drivers
  2. Run the utility & place the Perc drivers into the required folder, to create a USB
  3. Boot system from Win2003 CDROM, and interrupt the boot sequence with F6 to install the Perc driver from USB
  4. Now the system's hard disk is recognized, and can be selected as destination for OS install
  5. Complete the Win2003 install, until system is up
  6. Create another USB from a different system, with the upgraded PE2970 BIOS (v4.1.1)
  7. Insert USB into Win2003 system and execute the BIOS upgrade
  8. Now the system is able to see USB devices in setup, after a reboot or two
  9. On a Win7 64-bit system, install the USB/DVD download tool, and create another USB (4GB) from the Win2012 .iso
  10. Insert 2012 USB and remove all others, and reboot target system to get into setup (F2); the options I get are still different from what others have indicated - there is no "boot from USB" option; instead, you must set boot sequence to "Hard Drive C:" first, and also set "Hard Drive Sequence" to the USB followed by the Perc drive
  11. At this point the server booted from the Win2012 USB and I was able to install; however, installation does a reboot, which of course boots from the USB and starts install over again; therefore, after that first install reboot, must F2 into setup and change the Hard Drive Sequence so the Perc drive is first (or perhaps remove the USB, but I was remote)

Et voila, just that easy, Windows Server 2012 on an old PE2970 without a DVD drive.

0 Kudos