Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 6th, 2016 21:00

PERC H700 RAID 5, 3 Drives, Reporting 1 failed and 1 predictive failure

Hi:

I have a PowerEdge T410 with a PERC H700, RAID 5 w/3 drives.  The controller reported a failed drive so I replaced it last week with a new/refurbished drive.  Now just 1 week later it's reporting a different drive failed and the replaced drive as predictive failure.  Seems suspicious, i.e. I'm doubting the controller card.  

I'm thinking to update the controller firmware first but not sure if I should replace the failed drive first, i.e. if updating firmware could cause array to fail.

Also, if I install OpenManage on a VM (host is ESXi 4.1), does OM see the controller?

Thank you!

• 

8.5K Posts

September 8th, 2016 13:00

• 

8.5K Posts

September 7th, 2016 11:00

Hi,

There is probably an issue with the array. A predictive failure occurs when a drive has excessive bad blocks. Most likely this drive had bad blocks coped from the other drives in the array. Is it in a cluster that you can vmotion the VMs off of this host? We would want to test the drives, Boot to F10 during post and then choose the hardware diagnostics and see if any of the drives fail.  Probably the failed drive and the predictive failure drives are going to need to be replaced.

• 

8.5K Posts

September 7th, 2016 12:00

If you replace the drives like that it may just fail again. We should check the controller logs for a punctured array. You may need to replace both drives and reinstall and restore a backup. OMSA in a VM is probably not going to see the controller, however there is OMSA for Vmware or you can boot to a live image and update from there.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=W13JY&fileId=3457976757&osCode=EX41&productCode=poweredge-t410&languageCode=en&categoryId=SM

http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Drivers/DriversDetails?driverId=CWF92&fileId=3550743303&osCode=WS8R2&productCode=poweredge-t410&languageCode=en&categoryId=DI

31 Posts

Hi Josh:

Not a cluster, only one host, thus not running vmotion and no other host to which to move the VMs.

To replace both drives, do I need to replace failed drive first, let it rebuild, then replace predicted failure drive?  I don't think I can replace both at the same time, correct?

Will OpenManage see the controller if installed on a VM, i.e. so I can update controller firmware?

Thank you!

31 Posts

Hi Josh:

Do I need to boot into the controller (Ctrl E) to get logs, or can I get them from a VM.  Perhaps I can install the OMSA appliance then get the logs from it?

Thank you!

• 

8.5K Posts

September 7th, 2016 13:00

You can get it from OMSA. Once OMSA is installed you can go to the controller and from the drop down menu of available tasks choose export log. 

31 Posts

September 7th, 2016 17:00

Hi Josh:

I've installed the OMSA appliance.  In the Quick Install Guide, I'm on the step to register integration between OMSA and VCenter/ESXi.  I've entered it's IP and root credentials but it returns an error Failed to register extension.  The instructions say to enter username as domain\user but this ESXi server is not integrated with AD so I logon using root.  Not sure why registration is failing.  Does this integration require paid version of ESXi?  This ESXi host is using VMWare's free license.

Thank you!

• 

8.5K Posts

September 7th, 2016 17:00

31 Posts

September 7th, 2016 18:00

Hi Josh:

So it sounds like I'm correct that the reason I'm getting the error when trying to register the OMSA appliance with the ESXi host is because it's the free license and the necessary APIs are not exposed?

Referring to the last link to install the OMSA VIB then use SSH, I only see versions for 5.0 and up.  My host is running Vers. 4.1.  Do you know if the version for 5.0 will actually run on 4.1 or if there is a separate link/KB for ESXi 4.1?

Thank you!

• 

8.5K Posts

September 7th, 2016 18:00

It may be, all of the information I have found assumes a licensed version of ESX, so possibly. This has 4.1 steps http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/systems-management/w/wiki/1963.installing-and-configuring-the-openmanage-integration-for-vmware-vcenter-using-the-vsphere-client

31 Posts

September 7th, 2016 19:00

Hi Josh:

The last link that is specific for ESXi 4.1 talks about installing the appliance and registering it with the ESXi host.  I don't think I can use that integration; I'm getting the 'Failed to register extension' error, presumably because the necessary VMWare APIs are not exposed with the free license.  So, I'd like to use VIB/SSH integration at www.dell.com/.../en but it only has downloads for 5.0 and up.  Do you know if that type of integration is avail. for 4.1?

Thank you! 

• 

8.5K Posts

September 8th, 2016 10:00

You can try it, but it doesn’t look like it was validated by us to work. 

31 Posts

September 8th, 2016 11:00

If I have a punctured array, can I use VMWare Standalone Converter to migrate the VMs to new h/w, or will that cause issues on the new h/w?

Thank you!

31 Posts

September 8th, 2016 12:00

Hi Josh:

We haven't figured out how to get the logs yet.  I'd like to confirm the array is punctured before considering next steps.  How can I get the logs?  No DRAC, the OMSA appliance won't register, and the VIB w/SSH method only for ESXi 5.0 and above.

Any ideas how to get the logs?

Thank you!

• 

8.5K Posts

September 8th, 2016 12:00

OME shouldn’t need to be installed, but it doesn’t hurt to try at this point. I merged your other threads. Unless the data is corrupted you should be able to migrate the VMs. 

No Events found!