Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 2nd, 2019 06:00

PSU Firmware corrupted - Poweredge R530 keeps restarting

Hi,

My server Poweredge R530 is restarting and don't initialize into Windows Server. I ran the Lifecycle Controller and the firmware of Power Supply is different from each slot.

PSU Slot 1: Firmware version 06.00.00 / PSU Slot 2: Firmware version 00.1B.6D

Both PSU slot 1 and iDRAC lights behind the server are amber. Also the message "Check PSU01 configuration" appears on the frontal screen.

I think that it is the reason behind my server keep reinitializing. Am I correct?

How can I solve it?

power supply 1 firmware 2.jpgpower supply amber light.jpg

Thanks

2.9K Posts

April 4th, 2019 12:00

Based on what we're seeing, I'd be looking at replacing the power supply. The last checklist I would run through before doing it is:

Test known good PSU in both slots to validate slot health

Test suspect PSU in both slots

If the suspect PSU works in neither, it's probably the issue, and it won't let us flash the firmware on it, which would wall off most troubleshooting options.

2.9K Posts

April 2nd, 2019 07:00

Did the server ever have a power supply replaced? We have multiple different part numbers and manufacturers for that watt rated PSU, and those firmware are way off from each other, like perhaps one is a Delta PSU and the other is an Emerson. Pictures of the labels on top of the PSUs might help. 

5 Posts

April 2nd, 2019 15:00

Hi Dylan,

Thanks for your answer. The  power supply were never replaced and they are both the same.

It is a Delta PSU of 495W. I took a picture of the label below (the other one is exactly the same, so I'll send you only one picture)

Any other guess?

20190402_184254_resized.jpg

2.9K Posts

April 3rd, 2019 07:00

With them being the same hardware, it's most likely just going to complain about the different firmware versions. I'd remove the amber one, flash, swap the power supplies, then flash again. Power supply flashing can take a little longer, and you have to make sure not to power up during the flashing process, because it can ruin a PSU.

Delta PSU Package: https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=p0f3v&oscode=w12r2&productcode=poweredge-r530

5 Posts

April 3rd, 2019 08:00

I`ve just did it what you told, but the PSU are still without the same firmware. If I let only the amber one connected, it doesn`t turn on the server.

I also tried swapping them on the slots, but the amber one is still amber, while the other one is working. This make me think that maybe the problem is with the battery itself and not with the slot?

Do you have any other suggestion?

PS1 Status.jpgPS2 Status.jpgPS1 Lifecycle.jpg

2.9K Posts

April 4th, 2019 14:00

I looked, but didn't see it on the page. The part number for the PSU is going to be 2FR04. I can't imagine us not having this PSU available, though. 

By spec, this PSU should do it (https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell-single-hot-plug-power-supply-1-0-495-watt/apd/450-aebm/computer-chassis-components), but the iDRAC can flag firmware mismatches on PSUs and issues can arise there, so I would probably give triage a phone call and givethem the part number of the power supply you have, so you can get a quote for an exact match. I got the part number from the PPID on the sticker of the power supply, its in the bottom right and says CN0-02FR04-blah-blah-blah. The DPN would also point it out.

5 Posts

April 4th, 2019 14:00

Thank you for all your answers Dylan One last question. Would you have the link for buying a similar one at Dell website? I haven't found it Thank you very much
No Events found!