Start a Conversation

Unsolved

H

11 Posts

September 27th, 2022 07:00

PXE BOOT AND DHCP LOGS

Hi All,

I have this connection server connected to DELL EMC S4148T-ON (ToR) switch acting as Layer 2 connected to a leaf where the ip helper address is configured on the vlan acting as layer 3. We are using LACP. When we try to PXE boot the connected node to the Dell switch, the DHCP message does not get back to the node but is received by the DHCP server.

From the documentation, you cannot set the Layer2 vlan on the DELL switch for ip helper address. That is taken care of by the Leaf. Please correct me if am wrong.

I want to know how to see the DHCP messages that flow through the DELL switch between the connected nodes and the dhcp server.

• 

8.4K Posts

September 27th, 2022 12:00

Haryortheyji,

You can use the following show commands in EXEC Privilege mode to get that information. In order to get the log messages for all DHCP packets sent and received on DHCP client interfaces you would use the debug ip dhcp client packets [interface type slot/port[/subport] command.

To display log message on DHCP client interfaces for IP address acquisition, IP address release, IP address and lease time renewal, and release an IP address, use the [no] debug ip dhcp client events [interface type slot/port[/subport]] command.

Let me know if this helps.

September 27th, 2022 13:00

These are the errors I get. I'd like to let you know that the ip helper address is not configured on the individual interfaces. Also there is no any option when I use the help after the debug command.

debug ip dhcp client events eth1/1/1
% Error: Unrecognized command.

debug ip dhcp client events int eth1/1/1

debug ip dhcp client packets int 1/1/1

• 

3.6K Posts

September 27th, 2022 20:00

https://dell.to/3LPPMi7
Hi, follow up with link for DHCP server configuration and IP help address.

September 28th, 2022 10:00

Thanks Young!. To clarify things without the DHCP snooping configuration, the debug commands mentioned by Chris will not work. 

No Events found!