Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 25th, 2022 01:00

PXE Boot failed; Link down on DELL EMC XR11

Hi,

I am trying to PXE boot on my Dell EMC XR11 server but it failed due to net0 link down. Whereas on Idrac dashboard, the link Embedded NIC 1 Port 1 is seen UP.

Bios: 1.6.5

Broadcom Adv Quad 25Gb ethernet: 22.00.07.60

I have a 25GB sfp link connected on this Port 1.

What can be the root cause?

Thanks for help

7 Posts

July 27th, 2022 08:00

Hi,

I have fixed the issue; I am working with tagged vlan.

I have configured the vlan id via idrac on the embedded nic. But it was not enough.

I have also to add this information on System setup dashboard . After that iPXE boot works fine.

Thanks all for your help.

regards

Idrac_setup.pngSystem-Setup.png

• 

8.5K Posts

July 25th, 2022 05:00

Sbcbcom,

I would probably start with verifying that the correct nic is selected. From the BIOS go to Network Settings and confirm what you have configured under Interface, as seen on page 12 and 13 here

Also, what are you seeing under the F12 PXE boot option on boot up, as seen on page 24 of the same document?

Let me know.

7 Posts

July 25th, 2022 06:00

Hi Chris,

I have checked network settings already and it is the good PXE device1 settings: embedded NIC1 Port1 Partition 1 with pv4 enabled and the vlan linked to the dhcp ip network. I can see that an IP address is given by dhcp server but after that the link is seen down so the boot failed.

On PXE boot (F12), I can see iPXE i "No boot device available or Operating system detected"

• 

8.5K Posts

July 25th, 2022 13:00

Sbcbcom,

Would you confirm if you have others systems configured for PXE, and if they're working, or is this the initial set up for the first time? 

Is the link on the host and switch, and does DHCP see it?

Lastly, I would just run through and make sure there is;

Connectivity to/from the switch.

Confirm PXE is enabled on the correct nic and port

Determine if the client can receive an ip from the DHCP server

SLI might be a method to confirm on a system with no OS.

4 Operator

• 

3K Posts

July 26th, 2022 00:00

Can you update latest Broadcom FW and check the behavior. You can download latest FW from below link

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=6dn3k&oscode=naa&productcode=poweredge-xr11 

7 Posts

July 26th, 2022 06:00

Chris,

This is the first server Dell I have in my conf; I confirm that the DHCP server see it and gives it an ip @. On the IDrac, the link is seen UP . I am trying to boot via redfish,  this way: redfish:// /redfish/v1/Systems/System.Embedded.1

But the link is seen Down during the pxe process. It uses iPXE 1.21.1. 

I have update BroadcomFW as Dell-SHine K told me, but it still fail.

Regards

7 Posts

July 26th, 2022 06:00

Hi

I have updated BroadcomFW as you told me, but it still fails.

Regards

• 

2.2K Posts

July 26th, 2022 07:00

Hi, Could you please check if there is a setting related to PXE in the BIOS of the network card itself? When you enter the system setup with F2, you should be able to select the device setting and see the settings of the Broadcom network card. I remember there was an option called NIC configuration. I tried to find a screenshot for you, but unfortunately, I couldn't find it. I thought it was as if something had to be fixed in the BIOS settings of the network card itself.

7 Posts

July 26th, 2022 07:00

Hi Erman,

I have already configured in System Bios Settings->Network Settings->UEFI PXE Settings -> PXE Device1 Settings-> Embedded Nic1 Port1 Partition1. This is the Nic with the mac @ used for dhcp . This link is shown UP on Idrac dashboard. But not during iPXE boot...

Regards

• 

3.3K Posts

July 26th, 2022 08:00

Hello sbcbcom,

Could you provide a picture of the back of the NIC showing the sticker with the part number. It starts with CN-######-…. Need to see that second set of numbers. 

Also please post a picture of the SFP showing part number so I can verify you are using a validated SFP.

7 Posts

July 26th, 2022 09:00

Hi Charles,

Here a photo of the sfp 25Gb. Concerning the back of the NIC, there is no access to the back of embedded Nic; I opened the server but no sticker near the embedded nic. I can tell you that the ref of my Dell EMC XR11 is [personal information removed by moderator].

20220726_174023.jpg

Regards

• 

3.3K Posts

July 26th, 2022 10:00

Hello sbcbcom,

I don't see that we have an MikroTik SFP validated.  If you have others you confirmed work you may try one of those.

I would recommend trying a validated SFP. Two are listed below:

Dell NW

SFP28-25G-SR-GEN2 (FEC and no-FEC capable)

CK: 407-BBXU

DPN: W4GPP

Dell NW

SFP28-25G-LR

Tied: 407-BBXY

CK: 407-BBXZ

DPN: 0YR96

Please note I removed personal information from your post.

No Events found!