Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

July 17th, 2006 04:00

Pci-x to Pci-e Convertor?

Hi All,

I have a PE 1650 that has two PCI-x ports is it possible to change the riser to give me two PCI-e ports? If not is there an adapter to convert a PCI-x to a PCI-e port?

I'm not after the speed or bandwidth of the PCI-e port but need it for compatiablity.

Thanks,

32 Posts

July 17th, 2006 12:00

There are slot converters but then it wont fit into the slot.  It doesnt give you PCIE video support or SLI.

4 Posts

July 18th, 2006 01:00

thx Masterslave, can you direct me to these slot convertors? I'm not after PCIe Graphics or SLI. The PCIe port will be used for a raid card, but potentially this server will be replaced with a PCIe only server later this year, hence i dont want to purchase a PCIx raid card. thx

8 Wizard

• 

47K Posts

July 20th, 2006 16:00

Some of the models of server have a riser choice for the slots to have one pcie and 1 pci.

4 Posts

July 21st, 2006 04:00

@speedstep wrote:
Some of the models of server have a riser choice for the slots to have one pcie and 1 pci.

Yes thats what i'm after, but need to identify if this model server will support such a riser, and if it does what is the part number?

9.3K Posts

July 21st, 2006 16:00

There are some AGP to PCIe converter chips that Nvidia and ATI use to allow the more modern cards to still work in AGP slots, and from what I understand they may also work in the other direction (to allow a card originally designed for AGP to work in a PCIe slot).

As for PCI-X to PCIe 'risers' or chips, I'm not sure you'll be able to find those, if they even exist. Usually it goes the other way around (turn a PCIe channel into a PCI-X bus).

4 Posts

July 24th, 2006 03:00

thx Dev Mgr, i know Dell does have these options for some servers, just not sure if the riser card is cross server compatiable.

i have found the below reference to the riser options

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

Slots

2 expansion slots on 2 different riser options:
- Riser 1 Option –PCIe
 2 PCI Express slots (two x8)
- Riser 2 Option – PCI-X
 2 64-bit/133MHz PCI-X full-height, half-length

the first option is what i'm after.

No Events found!