Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 23rd, 2013 12:00

PowerEdge 1850 wont POST =(

Hi All

I recently purchased a Dell PowerEdge 1850 off ebay to play around with for my University course...

It was booting and 'screaming' the fans fine at first but after I replaced the original single core XEON with a dual core and added two more modules of RAM (2 x 1GB) it will no longer POST, and the fans will not work as fast or loud as normal... there is also a flashing amber light on the front on the right most light??

I'm new to servers so I'm not sure whats gone wrong?

- The CPU is seated fine and I have added new thermal paste.

- I have swapped out the new CPU for the old one again

- Tried seating the CPU in the spare socket

- Reseated all 4 RAM modules (2 x 1GB and 2 x 512mb)

- Reseated both HDD's

All to no avail =(

Hope someone has some idea as to what I've done wrong here =/

Many Thanks. AH.

EDIT: Also note that there is no video output on the screen?

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

The 1850 doesn't support dual-core processors.  

What type of memory did you install?  It requires Registered ECC, preferably 400MHz DDR2.

Return to troubleshooting using only the original parts.  Try clearing the NVRAM using the jumpers on the motherboard.  There is a locking arm for the processor -  make sure that it is used to secure the processor in the slot (it cannot be attached to the heatsink when installed).  The first processor slot must be used; the second can only be used if the first is occupied and must be occupied by a processor identical to the first.  Remove any expansion cards.

www.dell.com/.../1850_specs.pdf

"Up to two single-core 64-bit Intel®

Xeon™

processors at up to 3.8GHz

or up to two dual-core 64-bit Intel Xeon processors at 2.8GHz"

From reading the manual I was under the assumption it could?? =/

the RAM was sent from the ebayer I bought the server from it is:

- PC2-3200R ??

April 23rd, 2013 13:00

Hi Flash

You were right, the CPU wasn't locked in place!

Thank You!

Apple.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

April 23rd, 2013 13:00

Assuming this holds true for the 1850 as well as the 2850, to support dual-core processors, you'd need to be running revision II of the 1850 - they are not nearly as common as the first revision.

PC2-3200R is DDR2 400MHz Registered ECC.  4200/533 might work (although will run at 400MHz), but Registered ECC isn't negotiable.

So, after latching down the processor, it works correctly?  With which processor?

No Events found!