Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 10th, 2012 21:00

PowerEdge 2800 1-3-2 Beep on POST

Hello, I have a Dell PowerEdge 2800 rack-mount system which I acquired three days ago, and it is giving me some trouble.
I get a beep code 1-3-2, which from the manual signals that I have no RAM installed. I'm new to server management, but I have installed 4GB of DDR2 (2x2GB) in the DIMM_1b and DIMM_1a slots on the system board. I tried disconnecting all power after that, waiting a couple hours, then when I came back to it, I reconnected the power and tried to boot again. Being that I had the cover open, of course it gave me an intrusion warning, but I ignored that. I currently have it in low-power identification mode. The LCD flashes blue with the identity scrolling across. If you need any more information, or have any ideas as to how I can resolve this issue without having to replace the system board, as I can't afford a new one (or even a refurbished one probably), please feel free to reply.

From what I've seen regarding this issue, it could be that either the board or the DIMM_1b slot is bad. If either of these are the case, I'm [] - I'd have an 80lb piece of paperweight on my desk. Personally, I believe that the DIMM_1b slot being essential to the system's functionality is a bit... counterproductive. I hope to [] that it's not my board or DIMM_1b, and that I'm doing something wrong.

Either way, if you have any ideas or need any more info, please let me know.
-Nick

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

October 11th, 2012 10:00

Lucky you ... you have the wrong memory.  The PE2800 supports only Registered ECC memory (unbuffered is not supported).

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

October 10th, 2012 22:00

You said you "installed 4GB of DDR2 (2x2GB)" ... did you purchase the memory separate from the system?  What are the exact specs of the memory you installed?

"Personally, I believe that the DIMM_1b slot being essential to the system's functionality is a bit... counterproductive."

However, this is the case with the vast majority of motherboards.

Push the cursive 'i' button to stop the flashing blue light.  Does the LCD turn amber and scroll a different message?

Try clearing the NVRAM using the jumpers on the motherboard (near the system memory).

4 Posts

I did purchase the memory separate from the system. The one I have installed right now is 2GB 240-pin DDR2 Unbuffered PC2-6 and has the brand name Crucial on it. This is the only one I have installed and is in DIMM_1b. The other stick I have on hand is a Kingston KPR6400/2GR, for which I cannot find exact specifications.

As for the LCD, the only warning it indicates is my "IS000 - Intrusion" message because I've got the cover open. After that, there's nothing. And after clearing the NVRAM, I still have the 1-3-2 beep code, with the Crucial RAM installed in DIMM_1b. I'm at a loss. Is there something I'm missing?

4 Posts

Oh my goodness. How did I miss that? Well, that's still a lot cheaper to replace than the system board. Thank you so much for your help.

No Events found!