Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 14th, 2014 09:00

PowerEdge 2800 Motherboard Question

Hello,

I recently had a 2800 stop detecting memory (1-3-2 beep).  I switched out the mainboard for another T7916, but I ended up with a different Rev number.  My old one was an A03, but I went and found myself with an A02.  This causes a failure to POST and an error message on the front LCD - E0780:  Processor 1 Presence.  My research appears to have revealed that the error message is a red herring, and that the real problem is the PCI riser card.

The riser card I have is a M8938 Rev A01.  I can't seem to find any documentation detailing which riser cards would be compatible, however, and it would be pretty time consuming to go site-to-site and confirm if I can get an identical A03. I've only found one place selling a riser card for a reasonable amount (they're almost as much as a new motherboard if not more), but no word yet on if it is an earlier edition than the M8938 A01, which does not work with T7916 A02's, evidently.  My questions:

1)  Is the motherboard revision between A02 and A03 something that I can do via flash?  The machine will not POST with this riser card, however, so that might be a moot point.

2)  I have found a site selling a confirmed T7916 Rev A07 Motherboard.  Does anyone know if the Rev A07 Motherboard accepts the Rev A01 riser card?

Thanks,

M.

13 Posts

January 16th, 2014 07:00

Alright, turns out I am an idiot.  I didn't actuate the ZIF levers and had never secured the processors into the socket in the first place.

I have now moved on to a new problem:  Importing my hard disks so I can boot from them.  I will begin another thread.

Thank you for all your assistance!

M.

13 Posts

January 16th, 2014 07:00

Turns out I'm an idiot.  I never actuated the ZIF levers that allow the CPU die to sit in the socket.  The server now goes through POST.  My next step is getting the disks imported so I can use them to boot from.  I will start another thread for this.

Thanks for all the help,

M.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 14th, 2014 09:00

Originally, the 2850/2800 did not support PCIe ... those risers were introduced for later MB revisions.  I'm assuming your original riser is a PCI-X riser?  You will need to get a PCIe riser, which should work for later MB revisions.  The risers are spendy, because they aren't just expansion card risers, they also contain all the RAID logic for the server.

1. Indeed, the point is moot ... if it won't POST, you can't flash the BIOS.  ALL MB revisions share the same BIOS, so a BIOS update also would not help.

2. I would assume you would need a MB revision 1 or 2 for your existing riser, or a later/PCIe riser revision for A07.

13 Posts

January 14th, 2014 10:00

You are correct in that I do have a PCI-X riser.  Specifically, it appears to be this one:  http://www.ascendtech.us/dell-0m8938-poweredge-2800-riser-board_i_rsrnv3dellm8938.aspx

The stock riser (I only have the one) fits into both my dead one (A03) and the replacement (A02).  Should the riser then allow the replacement board (A02) to POST?  Did the Revision A03 change something that enables this riser to function while it cannot in an earlier Revision A02?

And to confirm, the A07 revision changes hardware such that I would have to abandon the PCI-X riser and procure a PCIe one, then?  Unfortunately that would mean the A07 board is unusable, as I am also trying to salvage a RAID, which means I will need to keep this riser/controller combo in use.

M.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

January 14th, 2014 13:00

"And to confirm, the A07 revision changes hardware such that I would have to abandon the PCI-X riser and procure a PCIe one, then?  Unfortunately that would mean the A07 board is unusable, as I am also trying to salvage a RAID, which means I will need to keep this riser/controller combo in use."

Yes, but you can still "salvage" the RAID.  If you change RAID controllers (risers), when you boot up, it will report a mismatch between the controller and the configuration on the drives.  You would boot to CTRL-M, Configure, View/Add, Disk View, then save the configuration on exit.

"The stock riser (I only have the one) fits into both my dead one (A03) and the replacement (A02).  Should the riser then allow the replacement board (A02) to POST?  Did the Revision A03 change something that enables this riser to function while it cannot in an earlier Revision A02?"

Somehow I missed this part ... I would assume a PCI-X riser on an A03 MB would work on an A02 motherboard.  You might try clearing the NVRAM using the jumpers on the motherboard (set jumpers on CLR position, power on as far as it will go, power off, put jumper back, boot back up and see if the error is still there).

13 Posts

January 15th, 2014 06:00

I tried the NVRAM clearing just now.  When switched over one spot, it doesn't boot far (and complained about Intrusion, even when the lid was shut).  When switched back to the original position, it still throws the E0780 "PROC 1 PRESENCE" error.  Bummer.

What next?

Thanks,

M.

13 Posts

January 16th, 2014 05:00

Just how long are the actual model numbers?

I found another A03 board with this model number:

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/MTIwMFgxNjAw/z/1WwAAOxyUXVRCp-Z/$T2eC16dHJGQE9noMbTwKBRCp-ZKjeg~~60_58.JPG

(If the image doesn't show, it's CN-0T7916-69702-53F-0587 REV A03)

My old board is CN-0T7916-69702-53A-0637 REV A03

Differences marked in bold, since a string of numbers is kind of eye-glazing.

So is the different part like a serial number, or are these secretly different?

M.

990 Posts

January 16th, 2014 14:00

The Dell part # is in the long line of numbers: T7916; both boards are the same, according to the information you have provided. C8306 is the replacement board for the T7916 and can be interchanged.

Regards,

No Events found!